Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Limping 7M Puppy

Puppy is limping on front leg. Puppy was inside chewing on bones got up to come see us in the living room and started limping?? Does anyone know what this could be...pano? Puppy is already on adult food.
My next question is what would you do...take puppy to vet? Watch to see if it gets better?
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
TIA

Re: Limping 7M Puppy

I would crate rest the puppy for a few days and if the limping persists yes then I would take it to the vet. Could be pano or it could be some soft tissue issues. Is the pup limping on the front leg or the back? Rest is always best, then on Monday if its not better make an appointment with your vet...Best of luck

Re: Limping 7M Puppy

Other ideas... look for any swelling on top of the paws, maybe a hyperextended a toe if he was holding the bone?? Check for any broken nails. Check for burrs, splinters, pustules between toes.

If you have someone knowledgeable, someone times you can tell by watching the dog move whether the pain is originating in the paw or higher up, say in the elbow.

If I hadn't seen any trauma occur and no abrasions, swelling, etc., if it were my dog, 2 - 3 days crate rest and potty breaks on leash, then if no better off to vet.

Remember, if you go to vet for an exam, you don't want to have recently given anything for pain on your own which would mask the pain (unless of course your vet told you to).

Re: Re: Limping 7M Puppy

If the dog is a high-drive puppy and has been very active, you may also want to check for elbow issues.