Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
handler

what is rec., getting a pro handler or going through a breeder handler? also say you dont buy your lab from someone close to you, meaning within your state or neighboring state/states? if you found a nice breeder handler closer to you could/would you ask them? now i know that things like this may/usually are all predetermined with stuff like this. this is just some food for my brain to chew on for a bit.
adam

Re: handler

sorry i forgot i already asked the first ? but could you guys still help me out witht he rest?
adam

Are you talking about buying a dog or giving a dog to a handler to show?

Re: Re: handler

giving a dog to a handler to show.
adam

I think you would do best to go to some shows and watch different handlers. See how they treat their clients' dogs and watch the dogs themselves. Ask to speak to the ones that you are interested in and go back to their truck or visit them during the weekday to see their facilities. Don't discount the more modest setups. Look for cleanliness, kindness to the animals, safety features and easy communications. There are some good handlers and their are some great handlers. Find the best in your area. It's easier to drop off, pick up and communicate in general that way.

It does not matter where you get your pup from. A profession will be glad to handle for you. A breeder handler usually just does her own dogs. May not do the best for you. Now some professional do breed and they are fine. Like someone said go ringside and watch how they are with others dogs. There are some we just would be hesitate in leaving a dog with but would hand them a dog ringside. And others have a great relationship with the dogs. But have seen some things I didn't like and will never forget.

Hiring a handler is a personal decision, and one that can be very costly or very cost effective. You of course want a handler that can win with your dog. At the same time, you want one that is honest and ethical. And just as important, one that will treat your dog well and keep him or her safe and happy.

Investigate carefully. Some prominent handlers aren't as ethical, some really great handlers aren't as prominent because they don't show many dogs, and so on.

I do recommend if at all possible send the dog with the handler on the road and not do ringside pickup. A handler that is able to bond with and really study your dog is much better able to present the dog in the best possible way, and that's what you are paying them to do.

Good luck!

Any reason you don't want to show your dog yourself? I have many friends who do use professional handlers, though are more than capable of doing it themselves as well, but this way the dog gets campaigned at more shows.

As a beginner, I would recommend you get to some handling classes and learn about the sport hands-on. Then and if the dog seems worthy to be shown by an expert, you can truly judge that by having some experience of your own.