Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ringside Handler Question

For the first time I've had my dog out with a handler and was looking forward to getting him back at Potomac. The classes are on 2 different days. I can't wait to see him, but I don't want to confuse him either. Should you wait until the shows are over
or am I flattering myself thinking he can't wait to see me either

Re: Ringside Handler Question

That is a difficult question as all dogs are different. Some really like their handlers and they don't care if you're practically standing on top of them and they will still show for the handler. Others are very distracted if they even see their owner in the vicinity. Talk to your handler and see what they are comfortable with and what they suggest.

Re: Re: Ringside Handler Question

I think you have to talk with your handler. Our bitch, Onyx, is very attached to us. Before she finished last year, We could not be anywhere within sight, sound or smell. We could not have any contact with her until the show circuit was over. I could hand her over to the handler, and 30 minutes later she could see us, and she would act as if we hadn't seen each other for years (tail wagging, jumping straight up in the air, etc). It was hard for us to stay away from her, especially if it was a long circuit, but we figured if we were going to pay for a handler, we needed to give her the best opportunity possible to do well. If it is going to cause a problem, stay away until the end!

Re: Ringside Handler Question

When I handle for other people, I try really hard to make it so that they can sit ringside to watch their dog. That's one of the best parts about having a handler! If your dog tends to be very bonded to you that can be a real challenge. What usually works for me (and you have to play it by ear and see what the handler thinks also) is to make sure that the dog sees you, and knows you are there, and knows where you are, but be rather standoffish and distant with your dog - no wild friendly greetings, hugs, kisses, treats etc. until the showing is over. Just a calm "hi there", maybe a pat on the head, and no direct eye contact. In other words, foster the bond between the dog and the handler, but don't hide because the dog will smell you and know you are somewhere and will be trying to find you. If that goes well and the dog is still paying attention to the handler, pick a spot ringside to watch and stay put. Hopefully that will work for you and you can enjoy the show!

Re: Re: Ringside Handler Question

I wish that had worked for us, but no such luck. I use to joke that I had to be in a different county when Onyx showed. I was still able to watch, but just from a distance, and definitely not downwind.

We have had a few that did not care if we were ringside or not when they showed, and that sure is great to be right there to watch. However, I still say, if you are going to pay the money to have a handler, and your dog is one who will be looking for you, give them the best opportunity to do well, and keep your distance.

Re: Re: Re: Ringside Handler Question

Socialization is a key factor, starting when the pup is young. I have had a couple of shy kids that I just kept working with. I took them to shows and would hand them off to friends to walk around with, where they could see me and give them encouragement. Now, they don't care who is on the other end of the leash.