Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Current Puppy Costs, may we ask?

May we ask what conformation type - pet pups (not field type pups or started hunting dogs) are going for in different parts of the U.S. and Canada presently for those who care to share this? Please feel free to include your approximate location and cost, what you include (shots, health certificate and the like.) We were wondering what the costs are now as we heard some were very low and some were so high it had to be an error. A year ago it was $900 to $1600 depending on area - cost of living. We have now heard of a fee that is very high, many hundreds over $2000 for pups going to a home to later be spayed-neutered and never shown. We assume that is a mistake, inflated amount, maybe including shipping (we do not ship)or just a rumor. We are not referring to show pups or co-ownerships, strictly pets not to be shown or bred regardless of the breeder's analysis of the pet pup. We would appreciate some costs shared to be sure we are close in cost with the rest of our area and to be fair. (Yes we checked with our club but there are very few litters on the ground at this time.) TIA !

Re: Current Puppy Costs, may we ask?

all the way home

Strictly pet puppies come from the same good genes for companionship, health, temperment and trainability as the show potential puppies in a litter. That said, there is generally no difference in price between the two. Both show potential and pet puppies are fed the same food, vaccinated the same, socialized the same and cleaned up after in the same manner.

Be prepared to spend what you are comfortable with paying and if you feel you are being taken for a ride, you might be. Get a rapport with a breeder and go with that, don't go for the bottom line. From experience, you may get what you pay for.

Puppies around here, South Western Ontario, vary from 800-1500. A high price DOES NOT equal a superior quality puppy, regardless of what it says on a website!

Melissa wrote:
"Strictly pet puppies come from the same good genes for companionship, health, temperment and trainability as the show potential puppies in a litter. That said, there is generally no difference in price between the two. Both show potential and pet puppies are fed the same food, vaccinated the same, socialized the same and cleaned up after in the same manner."

Great response!
I totally agree and do not charge any different for male/female, color or show/pet. (Often the ads in the paper around here (WI) charge $50 more for females or more for yellows than blacks for ex.)

The going rate in my area is about $800 for a Lab puppy from a breeder who belongs to regional breed club/national club, gives first shots, has a health guarantee, will take back a puppy/dog that doesn't work out, etc. The ones in the newspaper ads are about $250 to $500 for comparison.

Around here (SE Michigan) pet pups are generally $850-$950, sometimes a touch more.

With some breeders, the way I hear it, you might pay a bit more for a show pup but not generally as much as 2k for a 8-12 week pup unless it's a pedigree to die for. AFAIK most breeders around here send the pup home with whatever it should have by it's age (shots/vet wise).

There are some people out there that can talk anyone into spending a small fortune on something they don't need to spend that much for, it's how some people pay the bills (myself included, though I don't do it with puppies! I do it with printers!) and it's how Labradoodles came into this world.

Here in the NE, the cost is about $1200 to $1500. I have also heard of a few that are charging $2400. Now, this is for 8 week old puppies and not older ones that have already been trained or have all shots and possibly some clearances or may already be spayed/neutered that a breeder has decided to place. The older ones most often carry a bit higher price.

South east. My pups are 1200. They go home at ten weeks with a shot, microchip and cerf exam.

Anywhere from 800-1500, thats from educated breeders who offer guarantees and parents have all clearences. The only time I have seen prices over 1500 was either 1) a older pup that was trained or 2) a scam to offer "rare" colors such as 'silver' or the famous 'white'. There is a woman in the NJ area that advertises silver labs for 3,000

Re: Re: Current Puppy Costs, may we ask?

Melissa wrote:
"Strictly pet puppies come from the same good genes for companionship, health, temperment and trainability as the show potential puppies in a litter. That said, there is generally no difference in price between the two. Both show potential and pet puppies are fed the same food, vaccinated the same, socialized the same and cleaned up after in the same manner."

I agree!!

I sell all my pups for 950., soundness guarantee, Vet checked, neutering agreement, limited reg., sometimes I place a pup for less on a co-own to a show home, with a puppy back agreement.

I know that the deeper into the "woods" ie rural areas nice pups are abit less. In the local swap / sell guide pups are priced from 400. - 900.

S NH into MA ppl seem to get several hundred $$'s more for pups with the same basic pedigree as mine, but folks down there earn ALOT more than here in the "sticks". I also have no problem charging less if the family is terrific but the initial cost is a deterent to them, my goal is to have a loving, lifetime home for.

Re: Re: Re: Current Puppy Costs, may we ask?

Most around here are $800 to $1,000 a few $1,200... Agree they are the same pup as the show would be. Have had all the same shots and care. An older pup is sometimes a little less if the person really wants to go on and get it in a good home to settle and some ask more if it has had a little training of some sort ? Like they said watch out if someone wants to charge different for colors or for the sex of the dog. These people are the ones thinking money. What can they get. And the mutts can be more, silver and labradoodles. Watch also for the white lab, golden lab and lt chocolate lab. No such animal. Well there is, but not a Labrador.

From $1000-1200 depending on the litter. Thinking of raising this on the next litter.

Our area, NY, NJ, CT.
We are getting 1500 to 2000 a pup. But, of course our expenses are high. that is going rate.

I have been placing my pups for the price of the stud. Latest litter went for $800. I am more interested in placing the pups in a forever home. Pets and show potential are priced the same. All pups have had all shots for age by the time they are placed, have been microchipped, are familiar with crating, walk on a lead, have been aptitude tested, are well socialized and are well on their way to potty trained. I have only been in labradors for 10.5 years and have had 2 litters ... so I am absolutely not an expert. I do know of a field litter that was priced at $4,000, but conformation litters seem to range from $750 to $1800 here (Alaska).

Hope this helps some...

Prices seem to range anywhere from about $800.00 to $1,500.00. These would be pups coming from ethical breeders who do proper clearances, pedigree research, have been involved in the breed for many years and are members of a local breed club.

Usually pet & show puppies coming from the same litter are the same price, at least mine are.

Many thanks for all of the replies ! It will be quite helpful in pricing the pups I don't keep. Thank you.

Are you kidding now we have SILVER Labs!!..what do they look like?

Weims with tails.