Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
would you?

...ever consider selling a puppy to a young person living in an apartment? Have you ever and if so how did it turn out?

Re: would you?

I was a young person living in an apartment. If my dogs could speak I am sure they'd tell you how grateful they are that they have me for a mom. Living in an apartment made daily trips to the park a necessity, and they always had dog friends around.

I've also placed puppies with young folks living in apartments. I couldn't be more pleased with the way the puppies are loved and cared for. As is everything in life, placing puppies is a case-by-case scenario. There are PLENTY of people who own their homes and are middle aged that I'd rather give my left arm than allow one of my babies to live with.

Re: Re: would you?

Yep, I've sold to apt. people a few times. The first time was a young couple who lived in the basement apt. of a house. I made them bring their landlady, to show her support and approval. Not only did she approve, she was super excited about it, as she was going to be letting the pup out during the day while the couple worked, which turned out to be that the pup was at her side all day, trained up in no time. The couple went on to build a lovely home a few years later and added first one baby, then another. The pictures I still recieve are of the now mature dog, with the two children, on lovely hardwood, in front of the fireplace, etc......... Others had turned them down and they always showed their appreciation that I didn't and they never wanted to let me down.

Another was a young couple, her working, him a student. He walked that dog far more than if they had a house and back yard, and just put the dog in the yard. A great family, who eventually moved to a house too. I find it better in some ways, as the dog is definitely right in with the family, not in a kennel in the back yard. Lots of walks, etc....... The few times I have sold to apt. dwellers has worked out just fine.

Re: Re: Re: would you?

As long as they are on the first floorit should not be a problem

I was also a young person living in an apartment when I got my first pup. He was, and still is, spoiled beyond belief. I walked him every day, came home at lunch to let him out of his crate and play with him and even took him to doggie day care twice a week. I also met a ton of people in my apartment complex as a result and we would get together in the evenings to let our dogs play. Weekends were spent at the local dog parks. He got more exercise then than he does now that I have a home with land and a fenced back yard. So no, I wouldn't refuse to sell a puppy to someone for that reason alone. I would ask certain questions and want to know that they understood the level of commitment having a pup in that situation would require. But that's true of any new puppy owner really.

I've sold to people who live in condos which would seem the same as an apartment. Two were second floor requiring an elevator, one was a condo with their own stairway to the second floor where the dog would be living. All have worked out just great. One dog become ill in old age and was carried up and down the stairs. It's not where a person lives but how much they love their dog.

I live on the 3rd floor of a walk up - that keeps all of us in great shape.

Re: Re: would you?

I think everyone is correct. I live in New York City and have a 9 month old girl in a 5th floor walkup. Let's just say between running in the park for a few hours each morning (dogs can only be off lead before 9:00am) and climbing stairs she is in great shape. It seems to me Apartment dogs are better off because people do everything with their dogs. I have taken my lab puppy to Saks, the office and found out Talbots keeps biscuts and water on hand for our 4 legged children.