Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ok I have an ax to grind!

Let's say Bettey J. Breeder lives in the general vicinity of the LRC of Anytown. She attends the show each year, attends their retriever events etc.; but is not and has never been a paying member of said club. She *might* have carried something at a test once or twice or advertised in the show catalog, or donated to a trophy fund.

So now she is asking Suzy Q. Newsletter-Editor to make an exception and advertise her current litter in the newsletter which a real club member apparently gives her to read from time to time. Because she helps the club out - they OWE her?????

WTF? Sorry but there are certain "perks" to belonging to and "busting your butt at most of the events" for a club. Isn't this the status quo or am I living in Bizarro world? - wait! don't answer that question!

Re: Ok I have an ax to grind!

Amen sister!!

Hi!

She needs to be a member of her club to advertise her litter in the newletter. Let her pay her dues like everyone else. I'm sure the dues aren't that much.
I'd tell her a flat out NO to advertising till she joins the club.
Did I get the correct jist of your post?
Donna

You got it! Now, IME when you make a public exception for someone; EVERYONE wants special treatment!

Re: Re: Ok I have an ax to grind!

LOL...as if. No one would allow that at either of the LRC's I belong to. It's amazing what people will try to get away with though!

Recently, our club was gathering a list of who paid/who hadn't paid yearly dues as well as a list of prospective members (ie attendees to various functions). We have a non-member who refuses to pay dues since she really truly only wants to attend certain functions (mainly a yearly picnic where the club picks up most of the tab for food). Hello? Some people just don't get it. Maybe we should be thankful that "we" get it.

Hey Gina,

I have been waiting a long time to say this and your (W*F) comment was the straw that broke the camels back.

They sell pills called Midol, take one every hour! What is your problem?

You obviously have an issue with an individual and feel compelled to air it here??

Whatever weak justification you may think you have, you are wrong for bringing it to everyones attention. You got your so-called support and may feel better, but you did not help anyone in the process. Your behavior has consistently been dangerous and hurtful.

Get a life,

Re: Ok I have an ax to grind! In defense of Gina and others.....

who do 90% of the work in a club....it gets so frustrating. I whole-heartedly understand her point! But that is just the fact of belonging to a club - you have workers bees and not so active members. However, benefits go to the members. I agree the editor should not make an exception - or she opens the floodgates.
Membership has it's priviledges.

That said, be nice and remember always try to be and recruit quality members.

Have a good day....
Bibsmom - Valerie

I am sure the club is in need of money so if she wants her litter advertised in the newsletter maybe you should charge her a fee and make some money for the club. On the other hand I don't think this was the place to "advertise the fact" about this situation, you posted your real name and everyone knows what club you are from and it would be real easy to figure out who you are talking about and that is slander to whoever you are talking about. Think before you type!
Aloha,
Jackie

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Let's say Bettey J. Breeder lives in the general vicinity of the LRC of Anytown. She attends the show each year, attends their retriever events etc.; but is not and has never been a paying member of said club. She *might* have carried something at a test once or twice or advertised in the show catalog, or donated to a trophy fund.

So now she is asking Suzy Q. Newsletter-Editor to make an exception and advertise her current litter in the newsletter which a real club member apparently gives her to read from time to time. Because she helps the club out - they OWE her?????

WTF? Sorry but there are certain "perks" to belonging to and "busting your butt at most of the events" for a club. Isn't this the status quo or am I living in Bizarro world? - wait! don't answer that question!

If the club's policy is only members can advertise in the newsletter than no exceptions should be made. If Betty J Breeder doesn't like that policy, she should pony up the membership fee and lobby to have the policy changed.
and for what its worth, I have no clue as to what club Gina belongs to..and even less of a clue as to who Betty J Breeder might be and have way more interesting things to worry about so don't think I'll even hazard a guess
Carole

I have no idea who the person is either and have no need to know.

As to whether the person deserves most of the benefits enjoyed by paying members, I'd just ask, "Has this person contributed something so worthwhile that the club should show it's appreciation by bestowing an Honorary Membership?" If answer is "no", then I'd just tell the person while you all enjoy her company and appreciate what she contributes, there have been no nominations to include her name for Honary Membership, so for now, she'll have to pay the dues to enjoy the member privileges!

Re: Re: Re: Ok I have an ax to grind!

Ok, I have no idea what club Gina belongs to, and no idea who you are, Betty Breeder. And really don't care to try to puzzle it out.

BUT -- I can figure out why they don't want you in the club, Betty!

First of all I don't know what club Gina is in nor who Betty Breeder is. My guess is that Gina was surveying people to see what other clubs do, not to expose Betty Breeder.

Here are some thoughts I had after reading the posts:

If someone is eligible to join a club but chooses not to, then they shouldn't expect the same rights as the members of that club. What point would there be in anyone joining/paying dues then if a non-member got the same benefits???

However, I am wondering if the reason that Betty Breeder has not applied to the LRC of Anytown is that she would need two sponsors (as many of the clubs require including the breed and all-breed clubs I am in) and perhaps she doesn't know or cannot get two sponsors. Or there needs to be a majority or 2/3 majority to vote in a new member and she knows she won't get it.

Many clubs have policy/procedures that spell out who may advertise in their newsletters if they even allow advertising (I am a member of a couple of clubs who do not). If this club's policy is members only they should not be going against their own policies or if they want to let her advertise they need to first change the policy.

Some clubs have a code of ethics that members have to sign in order to be listed as a breeder and get referrals (my all-breed club does).
If Betty Breeder is not a club member how could she be held to club standards in her breeding program or how could a complaint be enforced then? As it is some clubs no longer do referrals or litter listings due to concerns about being sued should something not work out between buyer/breeder (this happened with a club somewhere out east a couple of years ago and they LOST the law suit).

Hey Betty - If you *are really* the person I spoke of - I'd be glad to sponsor your club membership because I know you are actually are a decent person. I just have a club policy to follow. Contact me privately and we can talk like adults about it. I don't think anyone on this board knows you. Hurtful? Please.