Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Not Pregnant

I bred my girl on 2-17, 2-18 and 2-20, all three times good ties. No I did not to progesterone testing. This would have been her last litter. She is 6 almost 7. We had her taking in and all blood work came back great. She is in wonderful health and always had easy whelping except for her last litter, she had a puppy that was sideways and the vet could not turn it, so she had c-section. It has been a year since her last litter. The sire has sired two other large litters. I had her due date at April 20. I took her in today to have x-rays to try to get a puppy count. I usually would have waited until Mon the 16th but my vet is on vacation from Thursday the 12 until Wednesday the 18th. I did not want to try to take her in at 60 days for x-rays. She looks pregnant and acts pregnant. Well they took 2 different views and we could not find any puppies. I am heart broken.

My question is did we maybe do x-rays too soon? Is there a possibility that she still might be pregnant? I now wish I had done the ultrasound and then I at least might know if she reabsorbed the litter.

TIA

Re: Not Pregnant

If you did not progesterone test...what other method did you use to tell she was ovulating? Relying on the bitches willingness, flagging, soft vulva, etc. does not mean she was indeed ovulating. I have a bitch who will stand for a male on day 12 of her cycle but, does not ovulate until day 20 or longer. Sometimes we are faced with the fact that they just don't concieve for whatever reason. She very well may have ovulated early in her cycle and you missed her.

Shelley

Re: Re: Not Pregnant

I always thought that if a bitch wasn't ready to be bred (naturally) that she would resist and or get kind of nasty with the stud dog. R there bitches that will allow a stud dog to mount and go through with a breeding even if she is pre ovulation or post ovulation past the point of missing the optimal breeding ?

She has always been bred naturally. And if she is not ready she will not accept the male. We noticed the first blood on Feb 7. We really have to watch her because she keeps herself very clean. She bred within the same time frame of her last litters.

Main question I guess is what is the earlist that you should be able to see pups on x-ray.

We ex-ray no earlier than day 59.

Shelley

ooops forgot to mention

Forgot to say that we calculate whelp date 63 days from ovulation or when she reads 5.0ng. So with your girl you will have to go from when she was bred the first time?

Re: ooops forgot to mention

According to my calculations your girl isn't even due until April 21st, so you need to re ex-ray her in a couple of weeks. So don't give up hope just yet...you may have pupppies.

I typically to not x-ray this early but with my vet out of town we went ahead.

This is one reason I wanted to know what the earliest you could see pups on a plain x-ray.

Thanks for the replies.

I would have her ex-rayed again on the 17th or 18th. You never said if you can see pups moving? After a meal or a drink of water have her lie on her side and feel for movement. Best of luck!

Shelley

From what I've read, day 45 is the earliest you can see pups on an x-ray. But I don't think I'd ever go that early. We usually do them about one week prior to the due date, so around day 56-58. Have you thought about doing a relaxin pregnancy test? I have a bitch that just turned 6 years old in March. We tried to breed her in January and she reabsorbed the entire litter. She's had 3 healthy litters prior to this and she herself is in good health. If we hadn't had the ultrasound at 38 days, I would have gone on thinking she was pregnant. She gained weight, had some mammary development, the whole nine. I hope yours works out differently!

I have been trying to feel for puppy movement,which I have yet to feel. I was just about to call to vet to see about a relaxin pregnancy test? I will keep you updated.

Thanks Again

I can't believe your vet did an xray that early in the pregnancy, you may just have harmed the fetuses by doing that. Day 45 would be the earliest you can do an xray but i've never done one earlier than day 58 just in case they didn't concieve when I thought they did.
Aloha,
Jackie

Re: Re: Re: Not Pregnant

Before the original poster gets to feeling too guilty about possibly harming the fetuses, are you basing that statement on a published study? I have no idea whether or not it is true or false but I do wish when medical opinions are voiced that they contain references so we can verify them.
I guess it's the science geek in me

What do you mean that early? By my count she is 53 days. My vet is going on vacation and would not be back until day 60. I was afraid to wait because, she has been known to have pups on day 61. My vet said it would be fine.

We saw no pups on the x-ray. But I guess if she did not concieve until the last breeding on 2-20 that she would be about 50 days along.

I was just wondering if there is still a chance we could have pups?

Semen can live for up to a week or more in the bitch, so it's possible she didn't conceive for a week after the last breeding - if you have no idea when she might have ovulated. I'd do another x-ray when your vet comes back to double-check what's going on in there.

Hi!

I don't think anyone is trying to beat up on you.
We may not all agree with no ultrasound or progesterone testing, but that is why I always do them. My girl had her last litter last year and I am really glad I did the prog. test, because she ovulated at day 10. My vet thought we were late.
She always went 20-21 days. Was I shocked.
She had a litter of 11, but 9 lived and thrived.
If it were me, and I really wanted a litter, I'd breed her again her next heat. If she's healthy she shouldn't have any problems. I think I would do all the testing to make sure the timing is right.
My Suzy had her last litter 3 weeks before she turned 7 and that was when her motherly instinct really kicked in.
It's all just my opinion.

Donna

I agree with everyone else that you x-rayed to early. I breed my one girl first time on the 14th and just x-rayed her last Saturday (we saw 12) my other girl I breed first on the 21st of February and I am not x-raying her until the 20th so give it some time.

Jennifer

Go to this website and read this calendar, after putting in the 17.. that is the earliest she would have conceived. Saying a due date of April 22

This chart is very accurate!

One thing I do is measure the bitches waist,(right behind the rib cage), 5th - 9th week.

Could you please list the website?
TIA

Oppss

http://www.debbiejensen.com/date.html