Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Week end? Chilled Semen Shipment

Having a bitch that theoretically will be ready to be bred Monday from shipped chilled semen, would you have the semen shipped out Saturday with an early Monday morning delivery or wait and have the semen shipped Monday so it would arrive Tuesday morning but be a day fresher? Your advice is greatly appreciated. She had blood drawn today (day 10) for progesterone testing but will not have the results until tomorrow afternoon. My repro vet and I assumed this would be the scenario my girl would set up for us.

Re: Week end? Chilled Semen Shipment

If it were me I would wait until you have the results back. Once she hits a 5.0ng, you know that you have 48 hours to breed her with the first shipment. Is this an A.I or surgical? If she hit a 5.0 today, then your ideal first breeding will be Saturday and then breed again Monday. Hope this helps. It is so hard when dealing with a weekend. Good luck.

Shelley

What were her earlier progesterone test results?

If you know the day of LH surge, you can "theoretically" plan on breeding 4 and 6 days after LH surge.
If you know day of ovulation, plan 2 and 4 days after ovulation.

I would probably have done a progesterone before day 10; it's best to get at least a baseline by day 6 or 7, so you don't get caught short. I have a bitch that likes to ovulate in lightning speed, and I missed breeding her because I waited until day 8 to test her!
At this point you simply don't know where she is; she could have ovulated yesterday or 10 days from now.
Also, I would try to find a vet or a lab that will give you results sooner. For you to do the test today and not get results till tomorrow afternoon does not help you or the stud owner plan a shipment very well.
You'll know how to procede when you get results tomorrow. I would not worry if you had to ship Sat. for a breeding Mon. morning; check the semen under a microscope, but if the collection was good and the extender good, it should last 48 hours.
Good luck with your breeding!

Re: Re: Week end? Chilled Semen Shipment

You might double check but most Vets get the results first thing the next morning. I can usually get mine by 8:30. This gives the owner of the stud dog all day to get the dog collected and to Fed X. Also, I would do a Sat. for Monday if you need to. Its all in the numbers. See what you get. Lots of great experience on this forum.

She was tested Monnday on day 7 with it being less than .02 so we figured we were safe to wait until today. She had cytology slides done as well. There was not much change from Mondays.

I needed a shipment on Monday. The semen was collected mid-afternoon on Saturday and shipped for a Mon am delivery. The bitch had 9 puppies. We used Camelot Farms. My vet commented on how good the semen looked when it arrived.

This should not be an issue. We have shipped over Thanksgiving, Christmas, as well as a few Week-ends. In each case the semen arrived safe, sound, and viable. If the weather is hot however, if you are going to have a 24 hour layover, I would use a Camelot box.
We don't even worry about the W/E's anymore on shipping or receiving chilled.

Week end? Chilled Semen Shipment

We just had our nerves all stirred up on our maiden bitch who was on day 10 on Good Friday.Easter long weekend. On Day 9, we got results same day and she came in 1.2. Day 11 (Sunday), we got results in same day again, i had driven it to the lab myself in the late afternoon- and she was 2.64 so we re-drew on Monday late afternoon, i drove it to the lab again with results in 3 hours and she was 4.75. First shipment arrived yesterday and all went well for her Day 15 insemination.

Good luck, we are thankful she held off for us just that one more day. Lesson, do not panic till the results are in- having 100 planned scenarios is tough stuff!

We are in the process of inseminating a bitch right now with semen that was collected Monday and Tuesday this week. Stud Muffin was on a plane to the Big "P" on Tuesday afternoon. Semen is being extended with the new mini tube exender and has been sitting in the fridge since wednesday morning when it arrived on our end waiting for insemination. First collection was inseminated early yesterday and looked great.

Thankfully we had the semen on hand since our girl made an unexpected rise she went from a 0.3 on Saturday to a 6.2 on Wednesday. From nothing to breed me in four days. Yikes!!!!

I really like the idea of the mini tube extender since you can have the semen right there waiting for you when she decides she's ready and the semen can last up to 10 days in it's extended state and is priced just a couple dollars more that other extenders. For our sanity I think it was well worth it.

Good luck on our breeding!

Oh BTW our Stud Muffin won his class yesterday at the Potomac at about the same time we were inseminating our girl. Here's to hoping fate is on our side.

Who is your boy who won at the Potomac?

I use the mini tube too and it is a good thing as Martha would say!

Does any one know if you can inseminate frozen semen like a regular fresh AI or does it always have to be implanted?

You may contact me privately for information on the stud we've chose.

As far as frozen is concerned your best bets are surgical implantation or trans cervical insemination both requiring a vet although I heard claims of regular vaginal inseminating working in the past but I wouldn't risk it with all the hopes we put on the line.

I thought it was your dog that won his class not someone else's.

Why would you want a win like that to be secret?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

You may contact me privately for information on the stud we've chose.

As far as frozen is concerned your best bets are surgical implantation or trans cervical insemination both requiring a vet although I heard claims of regular vaginal inseminating working in the past but I wouldn't risk it with all the hopes we put on the line.

No, It's a dog I bred one of my girls to and it is up to his owner to disclose his wins.

Again you may contact me privately if you'd like to know who we have chosen for our girl.

Also you may view Potomac results that are available on another thread.

Well my girl was .2 from yesterdays blood draw. This makes me nervous beings we will draw again on Monday, get results Tuesday and if a go will have the semen shipped but won't get to us until Wednesday. I am going to have another cytology slide done Monday and may decide to go ahead and have semen shipped Monday. I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed. Thanks for all the well wishes.