Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My labs attack other dogs

I have 4 labs, I am not a breeder, in fact they are all spayed, they are a pretty gang, but if another dog approches them, they attack him or her, by the other hand If I go and introduce the other dog little by little, they accept it, but if not, they attack, I thought that this attitude of attacking other dogs wasn't a lab issue, my labs are not the from a pet shop or from the newspaper, they come from very respected well known breeders in the nation. Can somebody please advice on this matter?, is normal that at the begining they do not accept other dogs? I have to work on that to help them accept the new one or strane one.
Thanks

Re: My labs attack other dogs

Sounds like you need the help of an animal behavioralist.

Dogs do naturally "pack up" when there's more than one with unfortunate results at times. Your guys need some social lessons from a professional. Too many to do yourself, I think.

Check with your vet or local kennel club for possible references.

Hi Peter, I would read Cesar Millan's book and watch as many of his shows on the Geographic channel..The dog Whisperer. If you don't get that channel then buy his DVDs which you can buy at places like Amazon.com and sometimes Costco has the book and DVD's from his previous season.

You could also have someone video tape you and your 4 dogs while they are displaying this bad behavior towards strang dogs that are approaching them and send it into Cesar. http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/

He might just want to use your dogs in one of his shows to teach people who own multiple dogs how to handle this aggressive behavior.

Until then , I would take each of your dogs out separately to get them exposed to strange dogs. You can better control one at a time. By watching some of Cesar's shows, you can get a better idea of what to do with your dogs when they are in a situation as you describe.

If you could talk your spouse or friend into doubling up with you, you could enroll 2 dogs at a time in basic obedience which will teach them more social manners around strange dogs. Some instructors won't allow aggressive dogs in their classes because of liability reasons but just call around until you find one that understands your dilema and is willing to work with you and your dogs.

It's be good to find an instructor who has some dog behavorior/physchology training exerience. Good luck and keep us posted on your dog's success in learning to behave in a more friendly manner when approached by strange dogs.

Hey, they are displaying this behavior to protect you. I know when I have more then two dogs with me, especially the bitches ........they protect me to the point of maybe attacking another dog. I have even experienced this after a bitch has come off a litter of a few months and her protection mode is still on to strangers or a strange dog. Break up the pack maybe exersize two at a time and see if it stops.

Peter; You are seeing pack mentality exhibited. They are protecting their pack. Try to work on it with a trainer or it could get further out of hand. So glad you came to the breeders of your dogs for assistance on this list. A phone call to those same breeders might be in order for some additional help. I hope it all works out for you and your 4 dogs.

Thanks to you All.
I just talk to a trainer, the first we are going to do is start doing rounds separated.
He has a lot of experience on this.
I will get back with advances.

Re: Re: My labs attack other dogs

Just remember just because they are Labs does not mean they are not pack animals. If they are all together and a strange dog comes they may consider this a threat to the pack and may also be territorial.
although un expected is possible in groups of dogs. strange dogs or unknown dogs should always be introduced properly and never assume all will be ok 100% of the time. Dogs will be dogs.....you can how ever start letting them know that behavior is unaceptable to you. and always supervize any visiting dogs and properly introduce them.

Re: Re: Re: My labs attack other dogs

Just remember that anything over 1 is a pack. I have 11 of my own and do in home boarding. I introduce a new visitor to 1 of my "pack" and if that goes well I add another member until the visitor can interact with a few never all of my group.
Pack dynamics are tight, and sometimes they will turn on each other if the pack order is disturbed. Try giving your dogs more individual introductions where you can more easily control the reactions.
Please don't allow a situation to start where they think they can pack up on a newcomer.
Some of the dogs I board will never be able to go out with the group but sometimes that is just the way it is.
Good Luck

Good luck Peter and thank you for coming by for some advice. So glad we could be of a little help. I am sure you can work it out with the help of a good trainer.

I have to tell you. I know it's been only days. But I have seen some advance. I got a new one by the way, first thing is, they didn't do anything, they accepted him, of course, I have been doing rounds with two of them, but changing partners every time.

The thing is, I have a Ranch is South Texas and is a Hunting Ranch, so I rent trained labs to go with the hunters, so I am planing to have more. but sometimes, the hunters bring along their own dogs, that is why I am training all day long.

Hope I am not boring you, the story will continue.