Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mother with weaned pups

Is there anything I can do to help my bitch who has weaned herself of her pups at 5 wks but has so much milk she looks like her teats are going to explode..ouch! I started cutting out lunch to reduce food intake. I now it takes awhile but she looks like she's very uncomfortable.

Re: Mother with weaned pups

Cut out her food entirely for 24 hours, then put her back on her "normal", pre-lactation/pre-pregnancy diet. Allow her to be with the pups if she wants to (they still need her even if they're mostly weaned).

Did you wean the pups "cold turkey"? If so, her milk wasn't able to diminish gradually.

My girl allows her 7-week old pups to "nurse" even though there's really not any milk available any more and the pups are eating 3-squares/day solid. I think it's more of a pacifier effect for the pups. They chow down on their soaked kibble, then indulge in a "Milk-chaser" for dessert!

Good luck.

Re: Re: Mother with weaned pups

I didn't wean the pups off her. If she so desires she can jump in the box. She will feed them if I take them out one at a time but will not feed all 8 pups at once in the box. There like little voulters!

They are eating 3 squares a day.

Thanks,

Re: Re: Re: Mother with weaned pups

Try to get her to nurse the pups once to relieve the pressure, Then wait a couple of days and do it again, if it is necessary. That should do it.
You don't want her to go into mastitis. Cut her food rations down for a couple of days.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Mother with weaned pups

thanks!since she wont feed all at once I will continue to take one or two pups out for her to feed she doesn't mind that.