Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
gunk on lips

Any suggestions? My old (11 yrs) girl has had "dirty" lower lips for about 6 months now. I had thought it was due to just being an old dog or the fact that she has some teeth that are borderline.

But now I am wondering if it is yeast. The gunk is dark and gooey. There isn't a ton of it, but enough to stain her bed, etc. It is the consistency of ear gunk due to an ear infection, only it doesn't smell. Any suggestions for getting rid of it?

I have not asked my vet as of yet.

Thx in advance...

Re: gunk on lips

our 11 year old has it on anf off for two years (can't for the life of me remember what it is called). we wash with a mild soap twice a day, dry well and apply neo-predef powder.. usually clears up in a week or so....does come back..key is to keep the area dry....good luck!

Re: gunk on lips

I've had the same problem on and off for years with one of my boys...had cultures done (negative for everything) It seems to come and go and appears to be worst when he's about to blow coat. My vet says not to be concerned as long as there's no trace of blood or odour, it's just epithelial cells sloughing off, and a wipe once or twice a day with a damp cloth keeps it in check and saves me from daily bedding changes.

Good luck

Sharon