Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Potomac Raffles?

What did you win? Just curious. I missed it this year. I love raffles. :)

Re: Potomac Raffles?

The raffle needs to be examined in my opinion by the club members. One of my friends name was drawn for the Optigen test and the Vetgen test, but had left the show site with instructions to another friend to claim any prizes that might have been drawn for him. Well, when his name was drawn, the "raffle gods" would not let a friend claim his winnings and the prizes were re-drawn. Interestingly enough, there were some items drawn and the "raffle gods" claimed the prizes for people they knew. One of my other friends was asked for verification of her identity from another person present. Come on now...this is hypocritical to say the least.

The "raffle gods" made the statement that they told each participant to keep their tickets. This is just not a true statement. Nowhere was it stated you had to be present to win or that a ticket was going to be required for verification. To me, this is a real shame and a dark cloud on what otherwise is a splendid event.

I personally will think twice about supporting this aspect of the LRC of the Potomac.

Did they really re-draw if you weren't there to claim your prize? I can't believe that could be true.

I was raffle chair two years ago (2005)at Potomac. I don't know what happened this year, because I asked the club to let me have a year off, so I cannot speak for them.

I will be raffle chair again next year and I can assure you that I will work out a plan to handle the situation you described. In the long run - funds were raised to help a great cause.

Of course, a simple solution to this problem would have been to leave your tickets with the person responsible for picking up any prizes you won.

Oh well, a lesson learned that will be fixed by next year.

There are many of us that are unable to attend the show, but still want to support is, so we ask a friend who is attending to purchase tickets for the raffle on our behalf.

It is a shame that some of us might discontinue to do this in the future because of this "new" rule.

Re: Re: Potomac Raffles?

The problem that you incountered was due to last years raffel running to long. In an effort to expedite the procedure only twenty eight items were drawn and announced one at a time. The other hundred or so items were drawn late in the affternoon and the winning tickets were attached to the prize. There was the possibility of someone walking past the tables and seeing a desired item and claim to have won it. I am sorry that you were one of the few to have a negitive experience with this.
If you go to the LRCP Web page you will see that we are seeking construtive ideas from our exhibitors. If you respond there the club would be grateful.
I would also like to thank you for elivating our long time, hard working, much respected members to God status. The Officers and Board members of LRCP love and respect each and every one of our Gods and Goddeses. I stand in awe of the time and hard work that they each contribute not only to this event but our other events thru out the year. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I won a prize at the LRCP raffle. It was one of the ones that they called out the name on the ticket.
I raised my hand, said that was me and they handed me the item. I did not show them the ticket stub nor did they ask for it. I did have it in my hand and would have been happy to give it to them.
I did hear a discussion about showing proof of identity if no one there knew you, but I really thought it was a joke as people were laughing about it.
It may be a good idea to ask for the corresponding other half of the ticket. That way, you can claim it without any hassle. I would suggest that for both the items with the ticket taped to it and the ones drawn and called out.
I would like to suggest that those waiting for the numbers to be drawn, sit down in the chairs. It was hard to hear the name being called and you had to wade through people to get your prize.
Maybe a mike would help to hear since it was a bit noisey. I enjoyed the music but it did make it hard to hear.
I have done many raffles and it involves alott of work both before and during.
There were many wonderful items and the ticket prices were very enticing.
Would have loved to get the earrings by "Omar" as I understand they were valued over $200. What a nice prize.
I will continue to support it.

Re: To answer the original question RE: What was won in the raffle...

It was my first Potomac since I'm still in my first year of showing. I flew in with a dog from CA (flying with a "big" dog for the first time).

I had a FANTASTIC time, and did GREAT in the raffle, much to my surprise, since I have been to several specialty shows in California and have never won anything in a raffle before. No biggie since the funds go toward the clubs anyhow- I'm just proud to be able to support them! My problem this time was trying to haul my goods back to CA! LOL

Some of the wonderful items I won included:
A framed inspirational quote poster with a black lab
A framed black lab head study
2 labrador club shirts from out-of-the-country
A nice linen short-sleeved women's shirt with labs
A Blue Buffalo food prize pack
Some labrador coasters with a Canada goose tile
And a beautiful gold labrador-head pendant

That last item was claimed by a friend when I wasn't there to claim it for myself.

I thought this entire show was nothing short of spectacular, and for me (still a complete newbie in this sport) anyhow, the raffle was great! Thank you all for the wonderful show and fantastic raffle prizes!!!

I was given my $20 back when I told the nice man selling the tickets that I was leaving last year or the year before, not sure which one. He very kindly told me thatI had to be there when the drawing took place or have someone else hold my stubs for me and collect. He was very honest. In most raffles you need the stub at the least, someone else could say they are you and not be, correct?

The one case sounds like a little lack of communication. It happens sometimes, a large, very busy show. No one else is complaining so perhaps two people did not understand each other

I can also understand the must be there, or have a ticket rule. A few years ago I won a Jane Parton print and a "friend" who I did not know picked it up. Lucky for me I was there also. A tap on the shoulder and a ticket cleared the problem up. I think the club does an outstanding job. I always look forward to the show and the raffel!

The money goes to lab rescue?

Re: Re: To answer the original question RE: What was won in the raffle...

Congrads!And your boy Monty looked GREAT.
I heard you had some lucky shoes?

Re: Shoes (off-topic)

LOVED those shoes! I want to get a pair of my own!!!

Thanks for the compliment on little Monty-man! I certainly couldn't have asked for a better "first Potomac" amongst friends and new-found family! What a fantastic time!