Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stud Fee using frozen Semen

I have a question for the breeders reading this forum.
I have a male that is 11 yrs old.
When he was younger, I charged a fee for stud service and if no puppies or fewer than three, I would do another stud service no charge.
He sired many, many beautiful puppies.
I now have a inquiry about using his frozen sperm.
These folks want what was collected when he was three rather than what would be collected now at age 11.
His motility is still good but not as good as when he was younger.
I have five straws.
Do you charge the same stud fee as a fresh collection?
Do you insist on them doing a surgical implant or at least a transcervical AI?
What if it does not take? Do I have to use another straw?
I was thinking of charging half when the AI etc was done and the remaining if and when the pups arrive.
The straws that I have are precious to me and I do not want to use them all up now.
I have not replied to them as their girl is not yet ready but they want to know now about using my stud.

Re: Stud Fee using frozen Semen

You collected them for your own use and have a minimal amoutn. Either they use him fresh or don't at all. It's your stud dog and your right to do what you want with his frozen semen not to sound cruel.

If you had 100's of straws of frozen it's a different story. 5 straws is not alot.

Save them for your own use or for a very special bitch.

Some breeders charge for frozen semen years in advance (not that we agree with that.) If you do part with the frozen I would take the entire fee up front. They pay for any and all other expenses.

You are a very kind hearted soul for considering allowing them to use the last of your frozen semen.

JMO

Re: Re: Stud Fee using frozen Semen

I would probably save the straws for myself and offer them his "to be collected" semen at the time their bitch is ready. And I would make sure they progesterone test their bitch to make sure she is ready. Whether they did a transcervical or surgical implant wouldn't really matter to me.

And I think most stud dog owners consider 2 live puppies to constitute a litter....if there are not 2 puppies, they offer a return service.

JMO - Valerie

I think you charge the going stud fee rate as if it were fresh and do one or maybe two breedings and all the same rules apply as if it were a fresh or chilled breeding.
Just my 2 cents......

Keep them for yourself!

If they want the frozen they pay the stud fee with no guarantee. That is what I was told when I inquired. This particular dog was dead though.

You have limited amount and you cannot afford to do a repeat with frozen. So, if they want a repeat it must be from the dog himself live etc. I would put that in the contract....repeats only to the live dog no more frozen

No need to make them do a surgical etc, but I would say use the dog while it is alive----unless there is a reason you cannot.

Even if they do not guar pups they lose some of the 5 straws. If it's all you have; I would not let them go given that situation. This should be a lesson for those of you with beautiful stud dogs; bank them younger and keep as much frozen as you can afford too; there just never seems to be enough from a great dog.

Actually; the costs are not that high to store [Here's the Bulb I put up.]OR chip in with a couple of people from your club and store the straws yourselves from a few studs . You can always find a vet to sign off later. How do you think the Clone offices run?

Can you do a semen evaluation (sperm count, motility, morphology, etc.) on your boy so that both parties have more information about doing a "live" breeding? If the semen is good, I would ask that they use him live. At that time, you can also entertain the idea of collecting him again for future use.
If the semen is "iffy", and they really, really wanted to use him, I would be more inclined to use one straw, no guarantees. Maybe even a puppy back so you have a part of him with you, if you don't already?

Frozen semen costs more than fresh. You need to recoup your collection and storage fees. Imagine how valuable semen becomes after a dog is dead.

Once the semen leaves, responsibility transfer to the buyer. You cannot determine how the semen is used or misused. There are no refunds and no repeats.

ditto on that last comment from breeder. Yep.

How much would you charge for frozen semen? Often you have years of storage fees, collection fees and if the dog is dead.................there is no way to replace it

Thanks to all for your great replies.
I think that I will do the following because the bitch is very nice with a pedigree that would work well with my stud's. If they agree, here are the terms:
Full stud fee up front for one frozen straw.
If no pups, one repeat breeding but only with fresh.

I will also get my stud dog's semen re-evaluated now for both my and the bitch owner's information.
Who knows, if it is great they may just go "fresh"!

I forgot to add that I would love a puppy from this breeding too.
I thought that asking for a puppy and the stud fee would be too much. Thoughts?
Is asking for a puppy at half price tacky?
This is all up in the air until they agree to a breeding this way, that there are puppies, there is a puppy I would like to have, etc....
Comments welcome...

I would go with collecting the stud fee, and then buy a puppy if one suits your needs...

Thanks, that is what I will do.

I thought I'd mention something that might've been already posted...

I'd talk to a vet about freezing more for yourself (and possibly for later), once those five straws are gone, they're gone, and I'd feel horrid if a bitch missed even once on just five straws. You can always run out, but it's really not possible to have "too much."