Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rules question

Is it permitted under AKC rules to show a dog that has had elbow surgery? Surgery for other orthopedic issues are specifically mentioned in the rules, but there's nothing about elbows.

Re: Rules question

Any procedure undertaken strictly to restore the health of a dog would not in itself affect a dog's show eligibility. Such procedures would include but not be limited to:

1. The repair of broken legs, even if such procedures involve the insertion of pins, plates or wires
2. The removal of damaged cartilage
3. The repair of ligaments that have ruptured or been torn
4. Caesarian sections
5. The repair of umbilical hernias
6. The removal of tumors or cysts
7. Gastric torsion/bloat surgery
8. Splenic torsion
9. Tonsillectomy
10. Correction of "Cherry Eye" (when the procedure only involves the gland of the nictitating membrane, and not the membrane itself)

so if the elbow surgery was to remove some damaged cartilage or take out a chunk of bone that would be fine to show

barb

Re: Re: Rules question

If it was for OCD than they are ineligible even though the surgery itself is to remove the cartilage, at least that is what AKC told me. I asked them about OCD of the stifle, my girl had surgery to remove the joint mouse (cartilage) that was floating there and I asked them specifically about the cartilage removal statement and was told that if the problem was caused by OCD, then she was ineligible. Of course, it may have been a matter of not asking the right person at AKC

Re: Re: Re: Rules question

One of mine had FCP, which is bone chips in the joint...which were removed with surgery. By that definition alone, you might think it's OK. However, FCP, UAP, and OCD are all considered forms of Elbow Dysplasia. Maybe the question shouldn't be CAN she be shown, but SHOULD she be shown? The dog probably wouldn't pass OFA certification on the elbows, so should this dog be competing? I don't know the answer, I am not passing judgement, just a thought....