Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CA MSN AB 1634 LA falls

Los Angeles CA council unanimously decided to support the bill and institute it whether it passes in Sacramento or not. If you are a breeder in LA - you won't be for long.

Link please. Where do I find this information on the internet? Thanks. nt

nt

Re: CA MSN AB 1634 LA falls

There is NO WAY there will be able to infore this!
If they happen to come to my door, I will tell them
to S.I.U.Y.A. I am sorry but that is the way I
feel. If I have to move I will.

Anyone know of a small town that does not have
these crazy rules???

I only have 5 dogs, 2 are puppies. Anyone,
want a roommate?

Re: CA MSN AB 1634 LA falls

It looks like if in Los Angeles if you get the $100 breeder permit you may be exempt - but no one knows at this time if this is per animal / per year or not. That can add up. Remember to run on a pup you will have to get a permit for it to remain intact.

Councilman
TONY CARDENAS
6th Council District
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Stacy Bellew
April 17, 2007 PHONE:CARDENAS WINS SUPPORT FOR PET RESPSONSIBILITY GUIDLEINES
City Supports State Legislation Curbing Animal Cruelty and Overpopulation
Today, the Los Angeles City Council unanimously passed a resolution authored by Councilman
Tony Cardenas that supports state legislation mandating that pet owners be more accountable
and responsible with their animals. The resolution says the city supports State Assembly Bill
1634 (Levine) which requires California owners to spay or neuter their cat or dog at four months
of age unless the owner obtains a breeder’s permit. About one million stray and abandoned
animals are euthanized in California each year due to overpopulation, costing taxpayers $259
million. Los Angeles spends about $18 million in euthanasia costs. $2.2 million is spent on frontend
prevention.
Cardenas, who put together the city’s first task force on animal cruelty, said the new policy is
vital in making sure fewer animals are neglected and residents are more accountable,
responsible pet owners.
“Leaving animals destitute is animal cruelty,” said Cardenas. “An animal that is neglected is
more likely to attack a human being than one that is domesticated and has a home. Plain and
simple – having thousands of animals stranded on our streets is animal cruelty and poses a risk
to our public health.”
Cardenas highlighted a recent case where a Rancho Cucamonga woman was attacked by two
stray Rottweiler dogs while jogging, emphasizing the need for pet control. Animal groups say
that one pair of cats or dogs can have up to 25,000 offspring in their lineage. Los Angeles picks
up about 50,000 stray animals a year and 19,000 of those are euthanized.
“This new legislation is a vital tool for the city’s animal control to get to a no-kill policy,” said Ed
Boks, General Manager of Los Angeles Department of Animal Services. “With these spay and
neuter guidelines and the city’s voucher program to help low-income families afford to alter their
pets, Los Angeles is at the forefront of compassionate animal care.”
The bill sets aside revenue collected from the state’s permit process to be spent for local
agencies’ administration of the program. A person found with an unaltered pet with no permit
would be fined $500. Part of that revenue would go towards spay/neuter vouchers to help lowerincome
families afford to have their pets altered. The city currently provides about $2.2 million in
free mobile spay/neuter services.
Cardenas also explained that the new spay/neuter policy, if passed in the state, would be costcutting
front-end prevention that would save taxpayers money by curbing expensive euthanasia
fees. This year alone, the city’s animal control has seen a 36% increase in services due to the
increase in stranded animals.

Go here for more info on the details of the statewide bill:

http://saveourdogs.net/

http://www.ab1634.com/index.htm

Re: Re: CA MSN AB 1634 LA falls

*sheesh*

I paid $35 this past weekend to euthanize a cat at an emergency clinic at 11:00 at night (that's for the euthanasia--not counting cremation/emergency fee/etc). I can't imagine it costs LESS to pay an officer to write a ticket.