Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
new pet food recall

what do people suggest to feed their dogs since the latest recall on 4-18-07? I was currently feeding my dogs nutro max dry food and was going to switch to eukanuba by recomendation by a vet but now both dog foods are on the recall list and some of the other foods i have gotten bad reports of. I don't know what to try for my dogs now. Any suggestion?
LabLover

Re: new pet food recall

As far as I know Purina is still fine as well as Innova. I am really happy with Purina Pro Plan Selects as well as Evo by Innova.
If anoone has heard of any recalls by these companys, please let me know.
Hope this helps.
A

correction on my post,
it was not natural choice dry dog food effected, but i still need to switch foods and dry eukanuba is on the list. i need to know where to look to find out about dry foods only. the list on menu foods is confusing because it uses product #'s and my food is in bins not bags anymore. any suggestions on food or websites?
labLover

Re: Re: new pet food recall

Since the Menu foods recall, I've been cutting the lot #/production info off the bag before I throw it in the bin, in case there are more problems. Now I just have to remember to toss the old info when I open a new bag. BTW, I feed Flint River Ranch.

Re: Re: Re: new pet food recall

I feed both Natural Balance, Premium kibble and Purina Pro Plan Chicken and Rice adult. No problems at all so far.

Re: Re: Re: Re: new pet food recall

I feed Iams and have done so for about 30 years, so I am concerned if there is a recall of the dry food. I have been web surfing trying to find anything about the Iams or Eukanuba dry foods. The only thing I have found is that FDA has asked for a voluntary recall of some formulations designed for weight loss and sold by prescription only. I have not found anything about Iams or about any other Eukanuba products. Does anyone know something I haven't been able to uncover?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: new pet food recall

thank you all.

I feed Chicken Soup for the Dog and Puppy formula, highly rated and not on the recall.

From their website today:
No Iams or Eukanuba dry pet food products have been affected by the Menu Foods recall or this amended Menu Foods recall. P&G Pet Care already implemented a full voluntary recall of the affected wet products from store shelves in the U.S. and Canada. As a result of these precautionary measures, all the dry and wet pet foods that P&G Pet Care continues to sell do not contain wheat gluten ingredients from any supplier.

Thanks for the confirmation of what my own research into the matter indicated.

we use exclusive and merrick

What about cookies like Iams or Milkbone? Are they recalled also? Sticking to all Broccoli and Carrots for now I think

"HUMAN GRADE" INNOVA ADULT.......

Right now, Chicken Soup is my food of choice.

Donna

I'm very happy with Precise Plus. I think this company selects the ingredients very carefully. My young dogs are on Precise Plus Adult and my older dogs get Precise Plus Large Breed.

Feeding Royal Canin Lab #30.
Hope it does not turn up on any recall list!

Rice protein is the newest culprit (beside wheat) in the NB foods recalled.

I feed Sensible Choice (made by Royal Canin USA) Natural Blend and my puppies and dogs do great on it.

No wheat, corn, soy.

Now is Rice Protein a listed that way on a bag of dog food, or is it any rice in a dog food now? Is there a difference between "rice protein concentrate", and just "rice protein"?
They sure don't make this easy to understand do they?

From what I have learned.

Brown Rice, Whole Ground Rice, Brewers Rice are just rice and not considered a protein source in the food.

Rice is put thru a process to bring out the protein source (thus Rice Protein Concentrate) and it was purchased from China where the Melamene(sp) was used as a fertilizer and somehow got into the rice protein.

I have never seen this listed in dog food until now. Makes me think it is a cheap way for the dog food companies to raise the protein percentage without adding meat.

I am currently using a food called Fromm. It is made by the Fromm family in California. I live on the east coast and it is available at a pet food store that carries better quality foods. All ingredients are human grade but dog food manufactures cannot use the term human grade. The owner of the store visited the company in California and was very impressed. They have a web site www.frommfamily.com. Good luck.

O.K. Now I'm worried. I feed Pro Plan Chicken and Rice. I already used the bag I had for the garbage run today and wonder what the description of rice is for this food. Can someone please let me know if I should stop feeding Pro Plan. Thanx.

El,
I am still feeding Pro Plan Chicken & Rice with confidence after confirming with Purina that no PP was affected by any recall. No worries...

Re: Re: Re: Re: new pet food recall

Thanks. I'll rest easier tonight, but I don't think this is over yet. I had to call my boss at work today to tell her to stop feeding the kennel dogs the Sensible Choice(Royal Canin). We've fed it for many years.