Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Can strep be passed?

I have a girl due to whelp on this Sunday. My youngest human boy has strep throat (should no longer be contagious after today) and my other 2 human boys have cultures sitting at the lab (quick tests came back negative but they are exhibiting symptoms). I have heard of stories of strep being passed from a dog to a human.....should I be worried? I have a call in to my vet.

Re: Can strep be passed?

I know an ACO who thinks she got it from a cat.

I would wait to see what your vet says.

Re: Can strep be passed?

strep CAN be passed from canine to human and back again...learned this about 30 years ago. My son's pediatrician couldn't figure out why my son spiked a fever after five days off meds for strep...I happened to mention it to my vet and he explained it to me. We put both the dog and boy on meds at the same time and I relayed the info to the pediatrician...the following year it was published in the NE journal of Medicine.

Re: Re: Can strep be passed?

My cousin had a similar situation, in which both she and her Golden Retriever were on the same medication. Both were being treated for strep/upper respiratory infection. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it for myself!