Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
US Customs Question

I do not normally ship puppies from Canada to the US but have a puppy family flying to Canada on a private plane next month to pick up their puppy. I am not familiar with the regulations around customs and am wondering if anyone can tell me what documentation they will need to take the 8 week old puppy through customs?

Also, I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me if I am supposed to charge GST and Provincial Sales Tax to a US resident? I believe I read that they can apply to have the GST refunded later but cannot find anything on PST. Thanks for your help.

Re: US Customs Question

Hi
Since the puppy is only 8 weeks old, you will need to supply an International Health Certificate that is signed by your DVM and states that the puppy is too young for rabies. Make sure you buyers know what is the legal age for a puppy to enter their State. I know some are 10 to 12 weeks!
If you have a GST number, then you have to charge GST. GST is only for those who have sales in excess of thirty thousand. If you don't have a GST number, you are fine. With PST, you don't charge it(at least here in Ontario) to those either having a PST number themselves or individuals outside of the province. That would include foreign. Its apprently the responsiblity of the buyer to pay the PST to your provinical government. When you submit your PST, its based on an honour system, you don't supply buyers names etc, just cash amounts. Again, if you don't have a PST number, you could apply for one. I guess it depends on how often you breed. I know here in Ontario, when the government did a sweep a few years ago, they didn't care if you had ten litters a year or one, you had to have a number. There are people who don't breed 'regularaly' that didn't have to get one.