Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How much does it cost to freeze semen?

How much does it cost to freeze semen?

I've been thinking of have my stud's semen frozen and have no idea of the cost.

Does anyone know what the fees are?

Is it real expensive?

Thanks

Re: How much does it cost to freeze semen?

It cost me $420. for the initial visit/collection/freezing and one year's storage. It costs $80./year for storage after that. I'm sure there will be some variation from one area to another.

Does anyone know which are the reputable agencies for collection, freezing and storage? Private replies okay.

And how much is frozen. How many straws for $420??

My vet charges $320 for the first collection & $80 annually for storage.

Re: Re: How much does it cost to freeze semen?

YIKES I was charged $1200.00 for 5 collections and $200 a year storage for a grand total of 1200.00 with 40 straws on ice!

I'm in the north west.

My vet collected and they are stored at ICB...did I get ripped?

Re: Re: How much does it cost to freeze semen?

That depends upon the number of sperm in the ejaculate. We got 24 straws on Charlie.

Re: Re: Re: How much does it cost to freeze semen?

here in the East it costs anywhere from $300-600 for a basice collection and freezing up to 5-7 breedings worth. If the collection has a larger quantity of sperm and requires more straws/pellets then there could be additional charges.

Glad someone asked this question.
So your vet collects then they send it somewhere to be frozen and stored.right?your choice. Is ICB the only storage company? Is it better to go to your vetto have this done.
or I have noticed at some shows. Maybe it is ICB that they will collect freeze and store it.That also might be ICB.Would that be a better way or the vet way.?

Mine is stored at Synbiotics in California.
$80.00 per year per dog.

AKC storage facilities

http://www.akc.org/reg/AIstorage.cfm

There are loads of them. The frozen semen I own is at Inver Grove Heights in Minnesota, but I have also used Stillwater to collect and ship.

My repro vet collects, freezes, & stores on site.
Annual storage fee was $90. but has now gone up to $96.
Collect and freeze fee is $260. per collection.

Okay, so then you need to keep the semen stored near you, or do they ship it directly to the bitch owners when the time comes? Is location a factor, if one doesn't have a local (nearby) storage facility/repro vet?