Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Toads are they toxic

I just went out side. I have 10 wk old and 15 wk old puppy. Just went out side and the youngest one is frothing from the mouth i don't know if she ate it.
The other one. Was trying to spit something out. And she is frothing. I knows toads secreat a oily substance to make it not want to get eaten. Which I felt it's still too chilly for the toads to be out .Which i normally don't see them till closer to june. But they are out.
My other adult dogs and puppies before used to leave them alone.But not these to.
Any suggestions

Re: Toads are they toxic

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1681&articleid=2394

I called my vet and he told me to administer Proxide?
So I did one puppy did throw up ,But the younger one has not. He thought our toads are not poisonious.
He has never had a case of anyones pets coming in from eating toads.

Re: Re: Toads are they toxic

The toads that we have in Hawaii are extremely toxic. As a veterinary technician of 13 years, I have seen MANY dogs die from simply "playing" with toads in their own backyards while the owners are not at home. Immediate attention is necessary to rid the mucous in the dogs mouth by flushing it with a water hose. Administering peroxide is the next step. If your dog is shaking his head or seems to be disoriented, take him to the vet immediately. Better to be safe than sorry Brandi

I did read on line toads in the tropics can be fatal if eaten. Ours are fine.today. I had to give the young pup another swig of peroxide.And that got things chugging.Thanks.