Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
here we go again, another Coccidia question

Two puppies, 10 weeks old, one has solid firm stool, other started with loose stool Monday the 16th.
Puppies have had a fecal float done at 3 weeks old, and another done on the 17th. Both have routinely wormed with Strongid (I know it doesn't take care of Coccidia, just trying to give as much info as possible here.)
When ever I have a fecal done, I mention that we've had coccidia in the past, tech tells me when they run the fecal they do look for anything that "floats" to the top too, and that both fecals on both puppies were Negative.
I'm not seeing any "explosive" type runs. Puppy acts fine, eating and drinking fine.

They haven't had any vaccines just recently, they are due for next ones next week.

After last fecal, vet said to try giving Pepto tabs, I did that for 24 hours, stool looked a little better, but then this morning it was very mushy with some slimey mucous. My vet does not like to treat for Coccidia if the test is negative, but I get the impression he will give me a 5 - 7 course of it if I insist.

My gut is telling me to try the Albon (or is there something else I should ask for?) I do have Tylan on hand too.
If I give the Albon is 5 - 7 days enough? I do realize that sometimes it takes doing several fecals before coccidia might show up, that it can be one puppy in the litter and not the other.

The Albon can't hurt to try, can it??

Re: here we go again, another Coccidia question

Would appreciate any replies. Vet office closes at 2 p.m. today.

If the coccidia is there I believe it would have shown up in the vet's fecal test. I wouldn't assume this is the problem. Many stomach viruses will cause the diahhrea and is catching one to the next. I know several people who had it after Potomac and then their dogs at home got it. it will runs it's course just like in people. Give canned pumpkin, it is a great binder. And also feed boiled rice/fried burger for a day or two instead of dog food. Give pepto if you like. If the puppy is all normal - eating, playing, drinking, usually it just a simple virus like we get and will pass in two days.
Jane p

I would rule out Giardia as well. Giardia is difficult to pick up on in a standard float test in the office, my vet ususally sends them out for an elisa assay. Giardia stools can be mucousy and loose like you described. Good luck finding the culprit of the diarrhea.

Re: Re: here we go again, another Coccidia question

I would go with the metrodinazole for 4 or 5 days, Coccidia and Giardia are not easy to spot in stool samples, I have had many time puppies with this type of diahrea who ocme out negarive in teh stoo and I have treated them with the Metro and it has worked wonders. Recently I was able to get a German Product for Coccidia which is only two day treatment, the name is Baycox and it works great, we cannot get it in PR but I bring it from the Dominican Republic.

Re: Re: Re: here we go again, another Coccidia question

you can get the product in Mexico too. it works well