Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ever had a lawsuit over this sort of thing?

It's the first warm Saturday here in NY and we were enjoying the peace and quiet out on our front porch when up the driveway cames a Jehovah's Witness. I thought S**t...come on ...leave us alone. My 5 year old girl bounded off the porch and raced to the woman in friendly greeting....bouching off the front of her. The woman did a slow motion fall onto my driveway and had stunned look. Now I know my girl should not have done that but then on the other hand...how dare they invade our peace and privacy without invitation?
Of course hubby acted all interested in their religion to deflect their bad feelings. There was a whole van of 'em.

Re: ever had a lawsuit over this sort of thing?

ROFLMAO...so sorry but it's funny! We needed some humor here.

Oh man, where was your dog when they came pounding at my door yesterday!! LOL
Normally I can duck out on them but they caught me with my garage door open and I just was coming in from letting my dogs out in the back yard.

But I think I had them leaving here hoping to never come back

Re: Re: ever had a lawsuit over this sort of thing?

I think your Lab girl had very good taste to bowl one of these God Botherers over. Keep up the good work girl! I would have loved to have seen the slow-mo fall.

Shaking my head here and not laughing at all and not hiding behind an alias with my thoughts. I find this completely offensive that someone would even laugh about such a thing. And would be appreciated if comments about people of religion or their ways were taken somewhere else, certainly not appropriate for the list.

Re: Re: Re: ever had a lawsuit over this sort of thing?

Had one of ours do that years ago. The woman complained about the dog and I just told her that "the dog belongs here you do not". She left in a huff but not before trying to "convert" me.

I'm sorry if I offended you Val..it just looked funny in print. You are right about this!

Where we live, there can be very long snowy winters. Two older bachelor brothers lived on a ranch even higher than where we lived as kids. All winter they plowed the road with a tractor and the neighbouring kids missed many days of school due to the fact that the school bus could not make it up the main road, farless the roads leading to various ranches. However, funnily enough, the local JWs were the first visitors come spring, up they would come in an old station wagon without fail. One spring they arrived and one of the bachelor brothers went running out, yelling "she's here, she's here!!! My mail order bride is here!!" looking at the younger teenage, early twenties girl, "I ordered her last fall and she is finally here!" This a true story and never fails to bring a smile to my face, when the JWs visit. Also greeted by all our troops!

To protect yourself, I'd suggest posting a sign at the bottom of the driveway, "No solicitors" or something like that. If you post "Beware of Dog" and a dog accidentally breaks skin with a tooth in all of its wild bouncing lab happiness, the signs can be used as proof that you knew it was a "dangerous dog." So, maybe something like "Deliveries only, no solicitors." I don't have enough property to let mine out of the fenced back yard, but they do a good job of scaring people in dress clothes (i.e. door-to-door missionaries) through the storm door! Two women in skirts took one look at my youngest girl bouncing all over the door and mouthed the words "We'll try again later" before they scurried away very quickly. They never returned....

We have very large wrought iron gates here. Earlier in the week, someone pulled up, got out and a few dogs were out on the lawn. They went screaming to the gate and yes, it was people of this relgious affliation. I just continued to let the dogs bark as I opened the front door of the house, wished them good day and that I'm not interested. The dogs continued to scream and bark until they got in their van and drove away. About ten years ago, some ladies from that same faith did come thru the gates and to the side door. I had just bathed one of the Labs and had thrown her outside on the opposite side of the house. Well I didn't know someone was at the other dog so Liza went tearing around the house and when I got around there, two terrified ladies standing there while one very wet dog bounced up and down in front of them. Unfortunately they got their clean dresses sprinkled with 'au du Wet Lab' and hair. They were politely asked to leave and told to tell the rest of their flock that when our gates are SHUT, it means, keep out unless we invite you. I also told them they were lucky it was a leapin' Labrador greeting them and not some nasty farm dog as several of our neighbours dogs are 'farm/flock' animals and not even I attempt to go on property.
You might think of putting a sign on your mailbox or end of drive NO SOLICITING PLEASE .

Thanks Kim and JK. About 5 years ago we had a couple of these folks (young men) come to the door. It was a bit earlier in the year and we still had a good deal of snow. I opened the big door and told them I wasn't interested. They opened the storm door to give me brochures anyway. My 3 guys (with cabin fever) took this opportunity to run out and start a game of butt tucking through the snow. I told these nice young men in their suits and polished shoes they could round up the 3 Labs they had opened the door for. I must say I did enjoy that--my guys were delighted to have such fun playmates!

Val you are right about this not being the place for such things and I am also sorry if you were offended and will not continue with any more posts after this one.
Freedom of religion is something to be taken very seriously and I applaud it vehemently.
However, this posting hit home because in our area the signs do not work and neither does kindness.
Our rights against frequent trespassers on our own properties should also be considered.

How ever you feel about any one religious denomination is your own business, and tie in the dog stories to make it funny if you wish. I still find it offensive.

But while you're laughing at this one particular denomination, go read this from USA TODAY which was written a few years back.
http://www.adherents.com/largecom/jw_freedom.html

Just some food for thought.

Sorry if you find this offensive Val but the best story I ever heard was that of people across our street who had a large and quite vicious parrot named Joey. The God Squad came down their long driveway in order to knock on the front door and the parrot caught sight of them and gave chase. He had his wing clipped so he couldn't fly very well but he waddled furiously down the drive in hot pursuit of the evangelists. The whole street heard this parrot squawking raucously "bad boy Joey, bad boy Joey" as he pecked at their toes and flapped his wings. Joey was better than any guard dog and he certainly got them on the "hop". They couldn't back track fast enough.

You know, I've walked away from the computer a few times and examined my feelings. Why does this upset me so I wondered. I've come to the conclusion that I'm not really offended! I think SAD describes it more accurately. I really need to take a break from this forum. Maybe someday I'll participate again, but I just can't this this place anymore.

I so agree with Valwhalen ~ This posting of making fun of some one's religion is very very offensive. This is way over the top with your (make fun of the religious people) stories. I am not a JW but would never make fun on them in private much less on a public forum....Shame on you guys..

I have only one thing to say. I was being plagued by the people that came into my very long driveway and it was posted no tresspassing and no soliciators.
I live by myself in the woods on top of a mountain. I do not like strangers around here. I asked them to please stop coming here .Well they would not listen to me a new crew every week.
After many requests . I walked to the back of there vehicles 2 of them together the last time and wrote down the license plate # and make and model of them both. I told them I have requested that they do not come here they are so persistent. I* reached into my pocket and pulled out my phone and dialed 911 for the police and told them I have tresspassers on my property that have been informed for over a year and a half not to come here. I told the police as I told them I do not come KNOCKING on there doors preaching my religion and I do not wish them to come and try to covert me to there's. They just do not listen to your requests. I have dogs here and yes some do run free on my 43 acres and you never know when they are coming . I explained this to them several times. We have enough problems with the goverment here in Pa. trying to make it miserable for breeder's. I have never had a problem since they left before the police did arrive. I was more than civil for a very long period of time. I gave the officer the information and yes I did file a complaint. And freedom from there kocking is a blessing before I get hurt or one of them from one of my Lab's knocking one down and licking there faces and to say they are and were attacked by one of my kids here. Not nice to have to do but I do have better things to do then have them here on Tuesdays ,Thursdays and on Saturdays also, knocking on my door all the time after telling them nicely to please leave and do not return I am not interested. They are very stubborn people !!

Ditto to what Joyce and Val said - This forum has literally gone to the dogs as of late.
I'm not a JW either but I would never disrespect them.

Are racial jokes next?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I so agree with Valwhalen ~ This posting of making fun of some one's religion is very very offensive. This is way over the top with your (make fun of the religious people) stories. I am not a JW but would never make fun on them in private much less on a public forum....Shame on you guys..

It's not so much the fact that we get alot of religous folks coming to our door at all hours of the day and evening but more the fact that we consider this type of intrusion soliciting. They refuse to see their invasion of our privacy as soliciting and will argue with you till the cows come home. I finally gave up arguing and started letting all my dogs in the house when I see them coming up my porch. I then crack my door open and let all my dogs stick their heads out as they are all barking. I tell them that this is not a good time, nor will any time ever be a good time then I shut the door.

We get obnoxious Kirby dealers knocking on our door to. The point is, it is RUDE no matter their color, religion or materials they are trying to sell or push on you.

This winter a truck pulled up in our driveway and rang our doorbell. I could see it was someone trying to sell fresh cuts of meat. When I opened the door up, I blurted out, " We are Vegetarians "
The salesman looked stunned and couldnt' think of anything else to say so he walked back to his truck.

Now why can't all the religious sales people that are very rude and yes stubborn walk away so easily ? They don't seem to care that they caught you at a very busy time or that your optinion doesn't matter to them. They are not sensative christians in my books. All they care about is their obsession to convert every single person at every house they knock on.

I just received an email from a familiar poster saying
“How dare I judge any one – and that I’m not perfect”?

She’s right – I’m not perfect at all – I strive each day to be better and do better – but what is posted here about Jehovah Witness’s has nothing to do with being perfect – it has to do with being cruel and ignorant.

No more emails please - they will be deleted.

Hi all
I have had similar experiences with "uninvited guests". All I can say is my critters live here. I didn't invite the "guest" here and I'm not responsible for their wellfare, please leave the way they came. This, for me anyway, is not a religious discussion, but a privacy discussion.
JMHO
Lisa

My intention wasn't to "dis" Jehovah's Witnesses...but rather to make us all think of the risk we take having out dogs out when strangers approach. Heck, I sell for a living. I'm very empathic towards those who sell to make a living. But I am approaching businesses and public places. It's an invasion when any stranger comes to my home without invitation. Whether they are selling religion, magazines, windows or whatever. We all work hard--can't we be left alone at home?
But the slo mo was a tad funny

Hi
In our current times,maybe the door to door idea should be dropped. I, personally, don't want to be responsible(regardless of reason) for an "uninvited" guest on my property.
JMHO
Lisa

Amen Joyce! I don't know what happened to the days when people were tolerant of each other. Geesh guys all you have to do is tell them i'm sorry i'm busy and they leave peacefully, they are people of God and all they want to do is to try and save whoever they can....
Aloha,
Jackie

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Jackie, I respect pretty much everyone's faith so long as it doesn't tread on my own.

But in my area, you have to threaten to call the cops or get a gun to get them to leave. "I'm sorry, I'm not interested" does nothing to get them off my porch, let alone my property. Again, the ONLY time they have left without threats was when the dogs were out (which I guess is a threat in and of itself when you're wearing church clothes.)

Also, my tolerance for other faiths ends when they determine it's necessary to shove it down my throat. How'd you feel if the Satanists or Wiccans came calling every 6 months and wouldn't leave?

I got a gate with a "No Trespassing" sign. No more uninvited guests.

My landlord, who has 14 Rhodesian Ridgebacks, has a sign on the gate that says, "My dog can make it to the gate in 3 seconds---can you?"
At first I thought, "Oh brother, isn't that a bit excessive?"
But then I realized...they never have solicitors! :-)

I personally work full-time, live alone and have 4 adult dogs and 8 puppies right now. I alone take care of the property, the house, the dogs, and when time, myself. I basically don't have time for a social life, and I certainly don't have time for solicitors of any persuasion, religious or otherwise.
Plus, it's a safety issue for myself and the dogs, as well as a nuisance. I don't want ANYBODY taking it upon themselves to open up my gate, and I would find THAT intrusive and offensive. So I understand.
The difficulty of the Forum is that you really don't know what someone is going through. Perhaps the comments were a bit judgmental and offensive to some people in a public forum, and by the same token, it's also okay to voice your opinion about that!
Let's focus on our shared experiences and look at the breed we all adore; is there a breed more "ego-less' and social than a Labrador? We could all learn from our dogs! JMHO

I'am surprise they didn't bring there young kids with them like they do out here.

The only thing i know gets rid of them . Is when we had our pet skunk Daisey.For some reason when he went to greet them they wouldn't get out of there car to come to the door.He never would spray. But they didn't know that.

I have a sign out front that states "NO SOLICITATION OF PRODUCTS OR RELIGIONS". It seems to work pretty well. Except for the occasional window salesmen.

Re: In direct response to your question

Considering the fact pattern you gave, I doubt she would sue, because that would make their visitations, once a suit became public knowledge, even more unwelcome among the general public.

You can however take the appropriate precautions since a suit might come up. First off, write down a record of everything that happened now while it is still fresh in your memory i.e. time of day, what you were doing, where the dogs were, when did she show up, how far on the property did she come, do you think she had a clear view of the dog as she was coming on the property, did she appear to hesitate when she saw the dog or keep right on coming, how exactly did she fall, how long was she down, did anyone have to help her get up, how was she when she got up - frightened, embarassed or right back on track to her visit, did she voice any complaints from the time she got up to the time she left, she did appear to be injured in any fashion, who else was there, did they leave any i.d. (aside from the brochures). Write down the answers to these questions before you forget what you actually saw and heard at the time - memory fades fast believe me. If you are sued after the fact, this is the information you need to have at your fingertips, and what your homeowners liability carrier's attorney will need to have.

For those who are upset with the turn this thread took about others experiences, I would sincerely like to hear their opinion as to whether uninvited guests should have the right to come and go on private property, and place the homeowners at risk for suit, through no fault of their own. It is very easy to take the supposed moral high ground, when you are not the one at risk of being sued!

Re: Re: Re: Re: ever had a lawsuit over this sort of thing?

what is wrong with everyone here? this is not intended to insult a religious group , but to point out a situation that a lab was being a typical Lab and unintentially knocked someone down. and to take it any more serious then that is just plan silly. and yes it is funny about the mail order bride coment. again not an attack on a religin for say. you all who are up set by this need to just lighten up alittle.
turn the check , take things with a grand assult and move on. come on people we are all more mature then that.

Re: Re: In direct response to your question

On a more serious note - many years ago some JW's arrived at our gate. It was a young couple with two very small children. Despite two big warning signs re the dogs they opened the gate and marched on in.
At the time I had 6 large adult Labs outside playing. The dogs started to mill boisterously around the visitors as only Labs can do. I charged out of the house absolutely enraged and said to the woman - "what if one of these dogs hadn't been so friendly and had attacked you or your children"?
She replied quite matter of factly that she would sue me if that was the case.
So I told her that I had warning signs on my front gate and she responded that, legally, they mean nothing and she could have still sued me if my dogs had hurt anybody. Then she had the nerve to tell me that if I didn't believe her then I should talk to the local police and they would tell me that she was correct in her assumption.
Needless to say this couple and their offspring were ejected from my premises.
Nowadays I lock all my gates with heavy padlocks and only permitted people are allowed to enter my property.

Just remember in our grand "sue happy" society, you can be sued for virtually ANYTHING! Now whether or not that case has any merit, doesn't matter to some people. It's more of a scare tatic or even a form of harrassment when people threaten to sue other people, especially if it is done simply as a form of harrassment and actual damages can't be proven! And yes they can get a bit expensive to fight. Some people are just sick beyond belief and have nothing better to do than to stick their noses into other people business!

Can you say FRIVILOUS LAWSUIT!?!?!

None of us has the time for unwanted solicitation religious or otherwise, altough I do try to accomodate the kids, girl scouts etc. I had a guy come to my door once to get me to buy something or sign something. He was being more than a little pushy and I was talking to him w/the storm door closed. I was alone w/ just the dogs, who were oddly being quiet. He *actually* tried to open my door and come into my house and 3 big Lab heads popped out of the opened door and growled at him. He backed off immediately and I told him to leave or I would call the police.
I was glad I my boys were loose with me that day. Living in the city we tend to see more crime and home invasions. It's scary. Anyone that is going door to door should take that into account and act accordingly.

Every April, our doorbell gets a good workout - we've already had the chimney sweep, the electricity/water meter readers, five different children with holiday projects, the scouts, two wine merchants and a gypsy knife sharpener.

The sweep and the meter readers are obligatory every year, the children are fun and love the dogs and the scouts are always welcome. The wine merchants have been made to feel totally ashamed for pushing wine on a repentant alcoholic (an invention which really works, these people can be sticky!) and hubby seems to have found a way to dissuade the JWs. Last time they rocked up, he listened to hellfire and damnation. shrunk into his shoulders and claimed that life was no longer worth living. After shutting the door, he fired a shot with the starting pistol uttering a loud groan... we haven't seen them for three years!

Thanks for the laugh JP!

I thought it was pretty funny too. As soon as we put the curtain up on the entry way window, I will stop answering the door....right now people can just look in and SEE that you are home.

I can see where the original post might offend, however, it surely wouldn't have hit a nerve if the story was about the newspaper salesperson or someone else.