Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
breeding colors

Has anyone successfully bred a Yc to Cc (pure for chocolate, genetically tested.) Pigmentation is the main question and is the result all chocolate or chocolate's and blacks?

Any thoughts on the subject appreciated. I do realize many of you do not approve of breeding any form of yellow to chocolate. I am asking about this specific type of breeding, Yc to Cc only. Thank you.

Re: breeding colors

Found the colors, now the input?

50% Byc and 50% Cy

If you breed a yellow that carries chocolate (eeBb or commonly Yc) to a pure chocolate (EEbb or Cc) then you will get 50% black puppies and 50% chocolate puppies in a litter.

All puppies will carry yellow and the blacks will also carry chocolate (EeBb or BYC).

As far as pigment there is no concern as there won't be any yellows. I hear people talk about pigment on chocolates due to carrying yellow and this has no bearing. There are plenty of dark chocolates that carry yellow as that gene does not affect the nose, lips, etc or the shade of the coat either. Chocolate is chocolate no matter if they carry yellow or not.

Thank you Sharon. I suspected this to be the case but was not absolutely sure. I have seen you address these sort of questions before and appreciate your sound, educated input. Just what I was looking for!

I did once breed my chocolate girl to a very nice yellow English boy. I knew his choc dad was from one of those nice, nice choc pedigrees. We got 3 chocolates and 5 black. And they were very pretty.
Beautiful heads, bone etc. Just need to know what is back there. I would do it again if I found a yellow I like and there are a couple super ones out there right now. Would need to color test my girls now. The one I bred is retired now.

Re: Re: breeding colors

Is there a test for determining colors...such as a DNA or blood testing??

Yes, there is. One is Vetgen other is Health gene.