Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
how soon can one usually get their bitch in shape?

My girl seem fine now at 5 weeks post whelping. I know she'll probably blow coat within the next couple of weeks. I feel I wated forever for these babies and now Mama can't be shown. Has anyone ver gone right back to it?

Re: how soon can one usually get their bitch in shape?

It depends on how much weight your girl put on, how long she takes for coat to come back and how droopy her underbelly gets. The droopy underbelly should not enter into the judges mind as long as a bitch is well muscled/Toned,(no fat rolls) in decent coat etc.

The bitch who has a very tight underbelly always presents a prettier picture than a bitch who is sagging like bessie the cow. I've seen very saggy bitches win majors at specialties and all breed shows but the judges happened to know a quality bitch and got past the sagging underbelly. Love the judges who can see the whole picture rather than bits and pieces.

Re: how soon can one usually get their bitch in shape?

Yes, back to fit and back to winning. My girl was back in the ring about 5-6 months after her litter. She was very fit to begin with and we went back to her excercise regimen as soon as puppies were weaned. During the following 6 months she earned a few Agility titles and took a few Breeds and a couple of Groups. I suggest a high quality, high protein food (Evo works great) and a good excercise routine.