Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What do you use to disinfect when returning home from shows?

When you return home from dog show what do you do to disinfect your dogs and yourself as to not bring bugs home from the show?

Re: What do you use to disinfect when returning home from shows?

Bleach - diluted 30/1

Re: Re: What do you use to disinfect when returning home from shows?

The first thing I do, is take off all my clothes (i really should wait until I leave the show grounds). Then I drive home

After my wife bails me out of jail, I burn my clothes, blow up my car and take a long hot shower in clorox and 1,1,1 Tirchloroethylene.

After completing three months of CHEMO, I would use pure alcohol (or Gin if they were out) and drink myself silly.

Since I keep the pups in a purified environment of 28% Oxygen and 72% Nitrogen, I do not touch them until they go BOB at Potomac.

This has worked well for me.

Re: Re: Re: What do you use to disinfect when returning home from shows?

That's a great idea! I'll have to try that....Best of luck with your "Pickled Pick of the Litter Puppies at the Potomac" next year!

Re: What do you use to disinfect when returning home from shows?

OMG AL that is hiliarious!!!! Thanks for the great laugh this afternoon!

Seriously, I just dip my shoes in a mild bleach solution (tray waits for me at the pathway). I also dip the dogs feet as they enter the property and take them back to the back kennels where they are segregated from the general population. I keep them "quarrantined" for about 10 days. However, this is only IF I have puppies at the time. Otherwise, I just dip and have been fortunate enough not to have brought back kennel cough for many years now (knock on wood).

As you can see by AL's post, some can really take it too far! LOL

Re: Re: What do you use to disinfect when returning home from shows?

Does spraying the bottom of people's shoes before they come in your house to see your puppies do any good or is it better to dip feet in bleach solution on front steps ?

oops, I meant to say spray the bottom of shoes with Lysol.

with young puppies of course. I also tell people not to visit another's kennel and then come see me the same day......

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Does spraying the bottom of people's shoes before they come in your house to see your puppies do any good or is it better to dip feet in bleach solution on front steps ?

The bottom of one's shoes is only the beginning. Visitors should wipe down the tops of their shoes (or take them off) with a clorox solution of 1/4 c. clorox/gal of water as well as their clothing and exposed areas of skin.

Re: Re: Re: Re: What do you use to disinfect when returning home from shows?

I'm not sure but I don't think that lysol is strong enough. At home, and at the vet clinic where i work we use 1/30 bleach solution. This is also listed in many vet books as the only thing that can weaken or kill parvo, so at my house we smell bleach quite often now.