Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dog Gas

I changed my dogs food to from Purina One to Purina Pro-Plan chicken rice about 3 months ago and noticed that he has the worst gas ever . The only other snacks he gets is the Purina Chicken Rice biscuits & Biljack for training. I've cut out the Biljack, but don't notice any change. His stools are normal and he doesn't seem uncomfortable. Could it be the food, they basically have the same ingredients

Re: Dog Gas

Try the Turkey and Barley, if it isn't on the List of tained foods.

Re: Re: Dog Gas

No it isn't - no Pro Plan products were affected or recalled.
Purina One and Pro Plan Chicken & Rice have similar ingredient lists, so it seems unlikely that there would be any upset caused by that switch....but it is possible as some dogs are more sensitive than others.
I'd suggest trying the Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach, which is a Salmon & Rice formula, with no wheat, no corn and salmon as the 1st ingredient.

Re: Re: Re: Dog Gas

I hear that corn gluten is now being looked at for contamination. I feed ProPlan and wonder if it's time to use a food with no grains at all. By the way, my dogs are not gassy on ProPlan.

I switched to Pro Plan Salmon (sensitive stomach) and have noticed a big decrease in gas! YEA

I have been feeding ProPlan since it first came out (15+ years ago???). I only notice gas when the dogs eat something NOT included in the diet--that they get hold of in the pasture or yard.

Also, as I posted last week, the issue is the IMPORTED products from China. Even though ProPlan has some grain products in their foods, they DO NOT IMPORT any ingredients. All are sourced in North America (which includes Canada and Mexico).

MK

MK

Hello Diane,

I have one boy with gas issues, what works for him is a quarter to half a cup of plain yogurt a day. It takes four to six days of feeding it before you should see/smell a change. Works like a charm.

Lisa

I could always tell when someone in the house was sneaking my dogs table food - by the gas! When they didn't have table food they had absolutely no gas. Are you sure there isn't a softie sneaking snacks under the table?

Friends of mine had a gas problem with their Cocker Spaniel. As he got older, he got gassier! They put a few drops of Beano in with his food, which seems to have done the trick!

Thanks everyone!! I have to admit I do sneak him some cheese sometimes . I don't know if this is possible, but I think I just noticed a difference in him the past 2 days. This weekend I put up some chicken wire to protect my Lilac bush that he was snacking on . Could that have been the culprit

Re: Re: Re: Re: Dog Gas

Rice gluten is also on the list. I received an email from Royal Canin the other day stating that they were recalling some specific foods due to rice gluten contaminates.