Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
cheek swab vs-blood test for optigen.

Anyone with ideas which is better?. Needless to say I missed it on optigens site.Till I had a friend today say she did the cheek swab.She is waiting for results.
Of course there is always flaws. In everything you do.
But has anyone had ??? results from the cheek swab??

Re: cheek swab vs-blood test for optigen.

Reading about the cheek swabs at the Optigen site I would never, say never, do it! The contamination risk is far too high and I'm surprised that Optigen actually allows it. My God - just look at the instructions! Test by blood is my advice. It's better to be safe than sorry...

If the health gene cheek-swab test for chocolate was the Optigen test for PRA....

Blood test all the way :)

I agree to test by blood.

Do they use one brush or three like Vetgen?
I would feel very comfortable with it. If they feel good about doing it, why shouldn't I?

Re: Re: cheek swab vs-blood test for optigen.

Have used the swabs and can't say I have ever had a problem with them, not sure what contamination you are speaking about, food, other dogs salvia, other material or what. The swabs are just so easy to do, I always get my vet to do them and sign all the paperwork. Much much easier than takeing blood, I am sure if there were any major problems they would not allow swabs to be submitted for testing.