Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gold Bond Powder for Hot Spots?

Pretty sure it was this forum where people mentioned how great this works. Or do I have the wrong product?

Any thoughts on the dangers of dogs ingesting it? did your vet recommend it?

Re: Gold Bond Powder for Hot Spots?

I started using Gold Bond Body Powder that has the triple action on the front of bottle. I heard about how well Gold Bond works from a thread on hot spots on thsi forum.

I've since used it on my old girl's hot spots. Works like a charm. She got a medium sized hot spot on side of her neck so I shaved the hair away from her sore, cleaned good and sprinkled the Gold Bond and gave her a half a prednisone to bring the swelling and itching sensation down. I thought it was scabbing over nicely then she must have got the urge to scratch it and broke open the crusted over part. I cleaned and reapplied the Gold Bond 2 times a day and continued with her half tab prednisone for a week.

I don't even shave them - in fact, Gold Bond has helped save the coat so they still look good in the show ring! I just make sure it's clean (I use antibiotic soap), hit it with Gold Bond, and give a benadryl and repeat twice a day as necessary. I might add a course of amoxicillin if it looks infected.

Thanks for your responses. I knew I had heard about this on this forum. Below is the reason I posted this and asked if anyone's vet had ever recommended it.

"I would NOT recommend Gold Bond powder for a dog as it could be ingested."

Quote:
Ingredients:
Active Ingredients: Menthol 1% (Anti-Itch)

Inactive Ingredients: Talc, Sodium Bicarbonate, Acacia, Benzethonium Chloride, Eucalyptus Oil, Peppermint Oil ((227-070))

Warnings:
For external use only. Avoid contact with eyes. If condition worsens or symptoms do not get better within 7 days, consult a doctor. Keep out of reach of children. In case of accidental ingestion, seek professional assistance or contact a Poison Control Center immediately"

I have been told the stuff tastes horrible and the reason dogs won't lick it off. Any truth to that?

TIA

My vet uses it too and offers it as a solution to others. I've used vet wrap when necessary to prevent ingestion and knawing at it too.

Thanks all.

This is what I wanted to hear

Re: Re: Gold Bond Powder for Hot Spots?

I've used it for years. I spray with Genticin Spray first then the Gold Bond. None of my dogs have ever licked it.

I don't think you will have to worry about dogs ingesting Gold Bond Powder. What we do is to clip the hair making a large margin around the wound and then wash the wound with Nolavasan Surgival Scrub, rinse well, then we apply Sulfadene and then apply the Gold Bond making a paste. Next day wash off with cool water then the surgical scrub and repeat. It should be gone in several days. I have never had any of the dogs lick the treated area as the Gold Bond and the Sulfadene are offensive to them. You must clip the hair or you it will just spread. Good luck Just what we do. If, however, the wound gets worse you may need to have a vet see her or start on Cephalexan. Ellie