Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Potomac Kennel Cough staying at the show site?

I am doing my own little survey.
Those of you whose dogs contacted kennel cough at the Potomac, did you stay at the show site or did you stay in a hotel off site? Just curious?

Re: Potomac Kennel Cough staying at the show site?

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express

We got no kennel cough and stayed at the Express. I had 11 dogs with me. They were exed at both the Express and at the host hotel.

I stayed at the Express. My 12-18 yellow girl was the first to get it. Then 4 days later my open chocolate girl. I expect it will go through all my young ones.

I seriously think that since some people won't keep their sick dogs home, that it should be manditory for us to show our own bites, instead of the judge putting their hands in all the mouths and going down the line.

I don't have KC here - one dog stayed at the Express with ten other dogs, and one stayed at the Sleep Inn. Both were ex'ed at both spots and at the host hotel.

In all my classes, I had the handlers show me the dogs' bites. Maybe it didn't stop the spread of KC at the show site, but I wasn't responsible for delivering saliva from dog to dog. I was also concerned about bringing KC home to my own dogs.

By the handler showing the bite there is an excellent chance it is protecting all from acquiring or transmitting KC. Thank you MSW for your thoughtfulness regarding all.

Re: Re: Potomac Kennel Cough staying at the show site?

We stayed at the host hotel, with no other dogs in our group, and no kennel cough! Whew. Several years ago I came home from the texas specialty and one young dog carried the virus to my house and one other before getting to her home, then exhibiting the cough, it was very nasty........three homes with full blown KC, all from one little girl!

We stayed at the host hotel and didn't bring it home. I did hear one dog coughing at the show but we stayed far far away.
Traci

Stayed at the host hotel and my dogs didn't come down with it.

One of my puppy buyers stayed at the Express and her dog did come down with it.

Only 2 of the dogs on my truck got it. Very mild cases though. I did have one b*tch stay home from Potomac because she had gone to Syracuse and got it.

We were parked and stayed at the Host.

Jen

We stayed at the Express and my dog did not come down with KC

A dog can carry the virus and be asymptomatic. I sent s puppy home with a family when I had it here and she NEVER showed any signs of having it. She was kept isolated form allof the new owners other dogs and they came down with it. Also, as long as the dog is coughing and for up to I believe 2 weeks it is contagious. Incubation is generally 3 to 5 days.
Some of my dogs were vaccinated and some were not in the fall. The vaccinated one actually had it wors than some of the others. Obviously, the vaccine did not cover this particular strain.

Debbie

I stayed at the Host Hotel - none of my dogs got KC.

For those of who's dogs did get KC, were they vaccinated? I'm curious as to how effective the vaccine was.

In the past, I have had dogs that were not vaccinated come away clean, and had dogs who were vaccinated come down with it.

Mike

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express 6 dogs and 4 came down with KC - yukkers

My dog vaccinated stayed at holiday inn express no KC

Re: Re: Re: Potomac Kennel Cough staying at the show site?

We only give the KC vacine one a year. We stayed at host hotel, four dogs, no KC.

Traci I also heard and saw one black boy coughing being walked on leash after 10 at night by a young man (teenager.) I took the dog I was walking, went in the opposite direction and stayed as far away as possible. This was at the host hotel.

We stayed at the host hotel, and none of our four dogs came down with KC. We haven't vaccinated for it in a number of years as we found the vaccine not to be terribly efficacious.

Like Carla, I have not vaccinated in a number of years. We stayed at Express, and no KC here.

We stayed at the Host hotel. No KC here. We were also at Springfield and Syracuse prior to the Potomac.

I stopped vaccinating for KC several years ago.

I stayed at the Hampton Inn. We did not get kennel cough. I also do not vaccinate for it.

I'm wondering if by vaccinating our dogs for Bordatella all the time, if this isn't causing our dogs to build up a certain resistancy to KC ??

My one vet who used to compete in dog shows with her Bearded Collies, never vaccinated for KC and her dogs never came down with it.

I think we all vaccinate our dogs for parvo, distemper etc but Influenza should be thrown in the annual booster if going to alot of shows and doggy parks.

I know all my dogs got Kennel cough this past November but the Influenza part of this strain was so much worse than their cough. The throwing up, the green goop flying out of their nose. They really had me working nurse maid that month.

I have 5 out of 6 that have KC now. I took 4 to the show and stayed at the Host. I also went to Harrisburg for 1 day. It was a full week after we got home that they started getting sick. I do not vaccinate for KC since about 4 years ago.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Potomac Kennel Cough staying at the show site?

jen and everyone else if you have one dog that is coughing and you take the dogs that aren;t they still can be carrying it. PLEASE don't do that it isn't right!!!!! stay home !

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Potomac Kennel Cough staying at the show site?

Not Jen, but know that the dog she was supposed to bring was not her own. It was a client dog that was dropped off and within 8 hours or so was coughing and so she drove her right back to her client.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

jen and everyone else if you have one dog that is coughing and you take the dogs that aren;t they still can be carrying it. PLEASE don't do that it isn't right!!!!! stay home !

I vaccinated all of my dogs the beginning of March with Bronchicine (injectible.) I went to Syracuse also. Nobody got KC. In fact, I've never had a dog that I vaccinated with Bronchicine come down with KC. I have a feeling that sometimes the dog sneezes out the intranasal before it can be absorbed...

We stayed at the Express and my 7 month old, vaccinated dog got KC.
Very mild case, coughed only for 3 days, no secondary infection.

Jen said 2 on the truck had it.

When they got home on Sunday or Monday. Not while we were there. I was travelling with her and helping with the dogs. No one was coughing while we were there.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Jen said 2 on the truck had it.

we picked it up down South prior to the Potomac, and since it's highly contagious for up to two weeks afterwards.........we stayed home!!!! Can't say the same for so many others. It's a shame. We vaccinate, but all of our dogs came down with a mild strain of it. Used Robitist.DM. Why don't others just stay home?? People were so worried that we might travel to shows with it when we originally posted questions about it at the end of March, and look how many others took it on the road with them. Ugh.

I remember well how nasty some ppl got about you NOT bringing it to the P.

Then ppl turn around, have a dog on their property coughing.........come anyway.....and have cases of it within days of returning home AND they try to explain it "away" here now?

Some of you people are unreal!! Why dont you use your real names??? Oh well!!!! If you have KC dont be ashamed, everyone is eventually gonna get it, whether you vaccinate or not.

KC was going around way before Potomac even came around. So get over yourselves!! As soon as the b*tch started coughing she was off the truck.

We arrived to Potomac on MONDAY!!!!!! the 2 dogs i had on my truck didnt start coughing until 2 DAYS AFTER WE GOT HOME!!!!!!! 8 DAYS LATER!!!!!!

Jen (just my facts)

We stayed at the host hotel and no kc here.

There were other dogs there that didn't get it at all.

I think that people need to remember that there are something like 38 strains of KC and the vaccine only covers 2-4 of those strains!!!

If you really want a positive spin on things be grateful its KC and not parvo.!!!
Yes that can kill animals also, but not like parvo can.

We stayed at the Express with two dogs and walked them all over the grounds both at the show site and the hotel, and neither one got KC. I don't vaccinate for it either. Just lucky, I guess...
Barb

PS: BTW, at least where KC is concerned, Jen is innocent. In other areas, I'm not so sure

stayed at Express, no vaccine, vo KC

Stayed at the host hotel. One boy has it now. I am sure the rest of my gang will have it soon. Most likely my litter will get it too.

From what I read, there is no real connection between getting KC and where you stayed or whether you vaccinated.

I have to admit I did bring one with a cough - my daughter Bridget! She was the only one I brought that I didn't vaccinate... And I got it also.

We ended up with KC after DFW last year, but by the time my girl broke with it at home, it was a few days later, and many people were already at Potomac who had been at DFW. I don't think we should automatically assume that people know they have it. It takes a few days to appear.

You are right about not knowing you have it. The incubation period here was about 8 days before symptons appeared. So far, it has only lasted about 3 days per dog and the Chloreseptic and Vicks in the nostrils seems to control it.

As far as I'm concerned, there are a lot worse diseases out there than kennel cough. It's common knowledge that the vaccine isn't that effective, and if you are going to show your dogs, it is a risk you take. It's not the end of the world.

I don't vaccinate for kennel cough.

What's the norm for length of time to have it? My first to get it(Sat. night) still wakes up out of a sound sleep and starts hacking/honking with a screachy wheeze toward the end. It's just painful to hear and see.

My guys have gone anywhere from a few days to 4 weeks. She was the worst off and had the other breathing issues also. Average was about 10 - 14 days.

Debbie

None of my dogs are vaccinated and since I stopped I have not had KC but maybe once and it was very mild.
The dog I had at Potomac has never had the KC vaccine.