Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Whelping box ideas?

If you were not going to use a whelping box for birthing what would use use? A friend of mine said she uses a large Vari kennel for te first week then transfers them to a pen area.

I have heard of people using swimming pools. Other ideas?

Re: Whelping box ideas?

I've had great use of the kiddy wading pools....easy to scrub out, sanitize, and rinse out with a garden hose, easy for Mom to get in and out of, and when the pups are up and moving around, I take it out. Lightweight, fold in 1/2 to get thru doors, etc.

Re: Re: Whelping box ideas?

We are working on litter #7 and with all our litters we have used the 5 foot wide Kiddy pools. Every litter I tell myself we are going to build a fancy whelping box with the pig rails but it never seems to get built.

We've never lost a puppy to mother laying on them but that is because I have monitered the dam and her puppies for the first 3 weeks. I sleep close by for the first 2 to 3 weeks.

Even if your whelping box has pig rails, the puppies can work their way under the dams' arm pits, trying to get to the lower row of teets. My dam doesn't like to roll completely over on her side so the pups have access to the lower teets. This causes the puppies to go under their dam's armpits and work their way under her front. I have saved many puppies from smothering when the dam rolls back over on the puppies as they are going under her armpit that first 2 to 3 weeks. The pig rails would not have saved them in these instances.

My first dam I bred would step in the pool and invariably lay down on a couple of her babies that first couple weeks. The pups were all laying in the middle of the pool with a couple scattered here and there in the pool. They would get laid on but I am home to supervise each time the dam gets in the pool.

I don't know how people go to work while the puppies are so small and could get squished. How many people have lost puppies due to the dam squishing them when they were at their jobs ?

I use the traditional whelping box but have heard the kiddie pools have been used. My question is this. What is put on the bottom of the pool to give mom and puppies traction to move around?

Re: Re: Re: Whelping box ideas?

I use old beach towels during whelping process then when the puppies are all cleaned up and dam ready to settle in with her brood, I lay down 2 large non skid washable area rugs. Since we don't have carpeting in the room where the pool is, I lay down a thick quilt and put the pool over it for added unsulation. I use a heavy wood chair to hang the heat lamp on which hangs about 4 feet above the puppies. Sometimes I use a heating pad the first week.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Whelping box ideas?

in the summer i think swimming pools are ok, but in the winter with all the DRAFTS i think the low sides on the pools are dangerous to the pups, just my opinion!!!! the first week is critical to the pups with cold, they cannot regulate body temp. and a draft could cause a DISASTER !!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Whelping box ideas?

My whelping box (Kiddy Pool) is kept in a spare bathroom and the door is kept shut for privacy and to keep the other dogs out. No drafts to worry about if you place the pool in the right place. I've never had a problem with puppies doing it this way. Our house temp is kept nice and warm. Between the heat lamp and the heating pad and healthy immune systems, my pups and dam will keep on using their kiddy pool !

I do the exact same thing. I have only lost one .Getting laid on.But the pools can get santitized better then wood.And the sides are high so the pups won't be getting out for at least 4 wks.
I to use a heat lamps and heating pad.

We have the Jonart Whelping box, and extended weaning pen, and LOVE them. Pups are happy and secure for up to 6-8 weeks, and can't jump out. Very easy to clean. We are so happy with ours. Worth every pretty penny.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Whelping box ideas?

I use the kiddy pool and have never lost a pup.
I put the excersize pen around it and drape sheets over it to stop any drafts and give mom privacy from the other dogs. I also use a small bathroom rug for the bottom of the pool, (pups legs get strong fast) Those small rugs wash up so easy.

I love, love, love the Durawhelp boxes from breederbase.com. They are lightweight (corregated plastic), easy to clean, and come with pigrails and a door for the front to keep drafts out. And not too expensive.
I don't remember how long they say their boxes last, but I have used mine for 4 years. Just got a new one, and plan on putting the two together when the pups are about 4 weeks old. I do work, but took the first week off, so I was with the puppies for 9 days. I changed my work schedule so I only work 7 hours and am home in 8. No squashed puppies, and I do feel the pig rails help.
The box is right next to my bed. It is comforting for me and for them to be close at night!
I used the plastic pool once, but this bitch did not like it, I think because the sharp edges caught her teats on the way in and out of the pool.
Tip: I use my old plastic pools for patio gardens; plant squash, cucumbers, etc. in potting soil, make holes in the bottom for drainage, and you have a lovely (large) container garden!
Where's Martha???

I am so glad you brought up the Durawhelp. I also love mine. It is so easy to set up and the box it comes in you use to store it. I've used it twice with two different girls and never had an issue with the pigrails. I was also thinking about ordering the extension for extra space when they get bigger.

I just got a kiddie pool for the pups to swim in this summer. Bring on the hot weather!

Shelley

Re: Re: Re: Whelping box ideas?

We use swimming pools. Have for yrs. Much easier to clean and then after a litter they can be stored or used as intended in the dog yard. The sides are plenty high. Come in various colors although blue is popular! Thumbs up!

I love my Durawhelp. Another tip for the kiddie pool is when you have a big backyard party use one (new) to keep all the salads and condiments cold. Fill the pool with ice and "plant" your bowls of salad in the ice...keep in the shade.

We also use a Handmade wood whelping box. Has adjustable pig rails. a bracket for an adjustable heat lamp.And just fits my small bitch.We have never lost a puppy in that one.

I bought a Durawhelp and I think it's a piece of junk and over priced at any cost. I can't recommend that product. It's pure junk!

We built ours out of 30" pvc pig panels. It is strong for durability and lightweight for easy handling...and should be very easy to sanitize. I priced some of the ones mentioned and by the time you add shipping I thought they were very overpriced. We purchased the materials for ours form a farm supply store and have $350.00 in it for a 48" x 60" x 30" box....

Sounds good but you can get a Durawhelp for WAY less than $350, and as others have also mentioned they are so easy to set up and store, everything folds down and weighs nothing.

I am not very crafty to build my own box and dont have too many litters, so the Durawhelp was a great investment for me and its soooo lightweight!

Maybe some day I love to invest in the Jonart