Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
No viable sperm in a three year old

I have a three year old who was seen by a well regarded repo vet today. My boy was to be "collected" today...the collection was successful BUT no viable sperm at all. One previous unsuccessful attempt to collect him two weeks ago (same vet), prior to that he is a total novice to such an experience (as am I). Can anyone direct me to additional info on this type of scenario. The vet mentioned additional testing, some of which sounds invasive and I do not want to put this fella through any invasive procedures (ie: testicular biopsy?) We had just intended to collect and freeze if future opportunity presented itself- it had been our intention to neuter this boy post. I would just like to understand more about what might have caused this and make sure there isn't anything more significant underlying this- as the vet mentioned, he is young & in good health otherwise. I will be following up with his regular vet. (This fellow has all clearances hips/elbows and eyes). Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Re: No viable sperm in a three year old

Did they use a teaser bitch? Some boys won't give it up otherwise, especially the young, inexperienced ones.

Re: Re: No viable sperm in a three year old

Yes, they did use a "teaser".

I had the same problem and the sperm was back a few months later

Have you ever done a natural breeding with this boy?

When my boy went sterile, he was around 4 or so at the time I think, my repro vet said that he could do a testicular biopsy but the most frequent consequence of doing that was that that testicle became sterile forever. So he did not recommend doing it unless I was going to neuter him and then why bother doing a biopsy. We did do an ultrasound and saw nothing except a smaller than normal testicle.

My boy recovered to 90% normal sperm within a few months and went on to sire normal sized litters (actually litters on the large size) that always had more males than females in them. Don't know if that was related!!

Bonnie

Many thanks for replys thus far, it is helpful to hear this may not be permanent. Gregg: no, we have not done a natural breeding with this boy. Bonnie...thanks; I'm inclined to agree that I would not do a biopsy unless there was another underlying medical issue that required such an invasive procedure. Our regular vet suggests a 2nd opinion at a large University vet school nearby.

I recall a thread a few months back on this topic and there was mention made of a supplement regime to assist with this problem??? Does anyone recall this?

Re: Re: Re: No viable sperm in a three year old

Have you tested for Lyme disease?

Has he been on any Medications?

No, no medications. Haven't tested for Lyme disease-

Had a boy with a reproductive infection of some kind; greenish discharge, depression, no fever...sperm count was pretty nil. with white blood cells present.
I did a thyroid panel on him, and found he was (temporarily at least) hypothyroid. We put him on the antibiotic Keflex, 1 gram twice a day, I flushed his prepuce twice a day with sterile saline and gentocin for about 8-10 days, and put him on thyroid meds for 60 days.
The re-check semen evaluation 60 days later (my repro vet said it takes at least 60 days to recover), showed substantial increase in sperm count (breedable quality). The re-check thyroid test was within normal limits at 60 days.
If there is an infection, I would recommend consulting a repro vet. They really know! Get a semen culture to discern if there is an infection.
Good luck, and don't give up!

One of the ingredients in glycoflex, I believe the perna muscle, is supposed to be a good supplement for the boys to help with semen production. I was told this by someone from ICSB. He said he recommends the glycoflex to dogs with low sperm counts. It can't hurt!

Re: Re: Re: Re: No viable sperm in a three year old

Woops, I menat perna mussel, not muscle, it's late!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: No viable sperm in a three year old

And I meant "meant", not menat, I better quit now!

I recently had a breeder ask me to help her with an AI, (on her own boy and girl.) I felt the male must have been in some pain, as everytime it came right down to it, he seemed tender and gave me nothing. He was also peeing way too much, she thought he was just marking but I felt it was way more than even the most macho marker. She took him to the vet and his sperm count was zero. Bad urinary tract infection. Once cleared, his sperm count was right back up again. It took a thorough round of antibiotics, but he came back ok.

Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions...I will follow-up and let you know. I am most concerned as to the cause of the problem...if he has an infection or something of that nature I want to treat that, of course.

Re: Re: Re: Re: No viable sperm in a three year old

I have been told that the first collection and maybe the second may not be a worthy measure for sperm. Can you collect him again to double check before testing this that and the other?

We were recommended a product from our repro vet called Omega Canine. It was costly for the big boys and came in such tiny bottles, so we ended up doing the same omega dosages from human products at GNC (1T. Cold Pressed Flaxseed Oil GNC private label on their food gave the same general dosage.)

Once it was all said and done, it turned out all we needed to do was switch dog food brands. We don't supplement now and everyone is doing fine. We figured this out when we noticed all of the boy's counts had dropped, not just one individual.

Would you mind sharing what food your dogs were on and what you changed them to? Please feel free to email me privately if you'd like. The repo vet mentioned it might be food related.

Yes, Sue. I have some "magic" potion that could help. Email me privately and I'll put you in touch with my herbalist.

I for one, if poster doesn't mind, would like to know the dog food that was causing the problem.

It may help others in the future.