Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Anyone use Nutro/Ultra Holistic?

I have never heard of this product, but a trainer who will be working with one of my dogs feeds this.

Went to the web site, but they do not show their actual analysis information--they just talk about all of the wonderful ingredients.

I also noticed that the parent company has had some food in the recall.

Pretty sure I will provide my ProPlan for them to feed my dog, but wanted to know any impressions others had with this food.

You can email privately.

Thanks.

MK

Re: Anyone use Nutro/Ultra Holistic?

It's there....

We feed the Adult version on occaison.

http://www.nutroproducts.com/ncuad.asp

Re: Re: Anyone use Nutro/Ultra Holistic?

Thanks--I hunted all over for that info.

According to the chart, their ration contains no calcium or phosphorus which is unheard of in a balanced ration. Either the chart is incomplete or something is out of whack.

MK

I have been using the Ultra adult and puppy for a year now, no problems here. I did start out on large breed but decided regular version was better. I was using Flint River Ranch prior to the switch. I do their breeder program so very sixth bag is free and they send out sample boxes for my litters.

As far as the recall, Nutro sent out this letter monday:

April 23, 2007

Dear Nutro Customers,

We know many of you have questions about the FDA's latest reports that melamine was found in rice protein concentrate (also referred to as rice gluten). We want to address those concerns as well as provide you with information on our use of corn gluten, which we include in some of our pet foods as an ingredient in the form of corn gluten meal.

Our customers have also brought to our attention confusion that has been caused by the media in reporting the new recall of some Natural Balance pet foods. Natural Balance Pet Foods, Inc. is not in any way affiliated with Nutro Products nor Nutro's Natural Choice®, MAX® or Ultra™ brands.

I hope the following information is helpful in clearing up any confusion you may have.

Regarding Rice Protein Concentrate:

(1) Nutro uses rice protein concentrate in some of its products because it provides an important source of protein for pets, especially for those with digestive sensitivities and allergies.

(2) Independent laboratory tests have confirmed that the rice protein concentrate (also known as rice gluten) used in Nutro's pet foods does not contain melamine.

(3) It has been reported that the Natural Balance recall is focused on products containing rice protein concentrate provided by Wilbur-Ellis Company. Nutro has NEVER purchased or used rice protein concentrate from Wilbur-Ellis Company in any of our pet foods.

Regarding Corn Gluten:

(1) Nutro uses corn gluten meal in some of its pet foods because it is a source of sulfur amino acids, which are important for skin and coat health. Corn gluten meal also helps as a natural urine acidifier that is important for both cats and dogs.

(2) All of the corn gluten meal that Nutro uses in its products is produced in the United States.

Nutro customers may check Nutro's website (www.nutroproducts.com) or contact our Consumer Hotline -- (800) 833-5330 -- for further information about our products. We will continue to post updated information on our website and our customer service representatives are working diligently to respond to each and every call and email personally.

We understand that the pet food recall has caused continued confusion and frustration and we are doing everything we can to provide you with the information you need about our products. We will continue to keep you updated.

Sincerely,

Dave Kravis
President & CEO
Nutro Products

Hope this helps you

If you go to their nutro ultra website, click products, click the version you want, you can get their ingredients, feeding guidelines, and guaranteed analysis:

http://www.ultraholistic.com/adult.shtml

Re: Re: Anyone use Nutro/Ultra Holistic?

It strikes me as VERY ODD that their "guaranteed analysis" does not list calcium or phosphorus. Back in my animal science days, you couldn't balance a ration without those critical ingredients.

MK

Just spoke with Nutro, they said they cannot give me a reason why that info is not on the bag, but for the adult Ultra formula the calcium is 1.9% and the phosphorus is 1.3%

Hope that helps

FYI, Nutro Ultra is on WJD's list of top dry dog foods. Check with Whole Dog Journal for info on other foods and their selection criteria.

Vicki