Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Question about discharge in bitch that has been bred

My bitch was bred on April 11th, and 13th. This was AI. Today I noticed a slight brownish discharge, kind of what the discharge looks like after a bitch whelps. I took her to the Vet, no temp. We got a urine specimen, and no bacteria, or blood in urine. My Vet was not inclined to put her on anything since she was not showing any signs of infection. She said that it is possible that she didn't take, and her body is just cleaning itself out. Has anyone else dealt with this before?

Re: Question about discharge in bitch that has been bred

Hi Laurie. I had a bitch discharge and spot blood exactly two weeks after an A.I. Like your bitch, there were no infections. My vet and I assumed she was aborting. Seven weeks later, my bitch whelped two healthy pups! They were both 1.5 pounds. So hang in there and wait it out. Good luck!

I would get an ultrasound or xray before concluding that my bitch was not pregnant. Vets have been wrong, many times before. It's up to us breeders to make absolutely sure!

Re: Re: Question about discharge in bitch that has been bred

I plan to, but she is only 2 weeks along at this point. I don't know anyone in my area who does the ultrasound, but I will check.

Re: Re: Re: Question about discharge in bitch that has been bred

Hi Laurie,

we bred on the same dates here too- right on the same dates as you, and we have no spotting or discharge and things have been going along smoothly - but slowly.
The best thing you can do at this point, is since you've eliminated any infection or health possibilities, is wait it out for ultrasound and then go from there and just continue to monitor her.

Fingers crossed for ourselves, but will cross a set for you too!

You could run a progesterone test at this point; if the progesterone level is dropping, she may be in the process of reabsorbing.

A Relaxin test can be done at around 30 days to see if she is pregnant or an ultrasound around 28 days will also verify pregnancy.