Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pup In Lieu Of Stud Fee

If you were doing a pup in lieu of stud fee who do you feel should pay for the chilled kit & shipping and later the shipping of the pup?

Re: Pup In Lieu Of Stud Fee

Personally, I'd think the bitch owner should pay for the semen shipping/kits, and the stud dog owner would pay to ship the puppy.

Re: Re: Pup In Lieu Of Stud Fee

I think most should be paid by the bit h owner. She is still getting the litter of puppys. All expences are still hers.

I agree with Patty. Bitch owner pays for semen and shipping, stud owner pays to have pup shipped when the time comes. The value of that puppy is the stud fee and doesn't include anything else IMO.

While all agreements can be modified and are up to the individuals involved....typically, the owner of the bitch pays all costs incurred for breeding the bitch (that includes the kits and shipping) new puppy owner pays the cost of shipping.

I agree that the AI & all breeding expenses except the stud fee are the bitch owners responsibility. If the stud fee is $900.00 and you are selling your puppies for $1200.00 wouldn't the stud owner then owe you$300.00? Also it is the stud owners expense to have the puppy shipped.

The breeders I've dealt with always give the puppy in exchange for stud fee no matter what the puppies are selling for. The litter wouldn't even take place without that boy or another boy. Old tradition I guess, but I can see it's about to be the target of scrutiny here.

Bitch owner pays all expenses to breed the girl, and the puppy recipient pays to ship the puppy.

its the bitch owners responsibility for the shipping

Should the stud owner get first pick? The breeding was done for the bitch owner, who is willing to pay for the breeding but who should get first pick in this type situation?

I have always asked for second pick instead of a stud fee if I want a puppy.

You didn't ask this but I am going to state my opinion anyway. My strong personal opinion is that one should never do a stud fee for a puppy - clouds too many things.

Pay the stud fee and if the stud owner wants a puppy that person can purchase a puppy.

Bonnie

Have to agree with poster who said don't do a stud fee puppy trade. Bitch owner is far better off if they paid for the stud fee up front plus whatever additional costs are associated with breeding their girl. If stud owner wants a puppy I would offer to let them BUY whatever puppy I, as the bitch owner, was not keeping for myself. I would offer them first right to purchase (after my picks) and feel they should be happy with that opportunity.

Why would a bitch owner go through all the trouble and stress of whelping a litter only to agree that 1st pick would go to stud dog owner. That's silly.

agree with Bonnie! Pay the fee then buy a puppy! It is two separate agreements.

Re: Re: Re: Pup In Lieu Of Stud Fee

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Have to agree with poster who said don't do a stud fee puppy trade. Bitch owner is far better off if they paid for the stud fee up front plus whatever additional costs are associated with breeding their girl. If stud owner wants a puppy I would offer to let them BUY whatever puppy I, as the bitch owner, was not keeping for myself. I would offer them first right to purchase (after my picks) and feel they should be happy with that opportunity.

Why would a bitch owner go through all the trouble and stress of whelping a litter only to agree that 1st pick would go to stud dog owner. That's silly.

I think what it boils down to is people usually don't have fee up front. This is why these arrangements are made.

I would offer stud fee to be paid after pups are sold. Yes, I give credit. ;)

it was not mentioned weather this pup would be first pick or pic after bitch owner. I feel if both parties agree to this , both want something from this breeding. I have known people to do this and bitch owner has first choice if agreed upon up front, if not it has been customerry that the stud take pick. many times one will want pick bitch and the other pick dog. just depends on the two people. I personally as a bitch owner would not give up pick , that being said , I would pay the stud fee, or if terms are agreed upon then good for you.
trust is important, and write it all down , this way no way for misunderstanding , all blk & wht.