Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
so many calls!

I am getting 2 or 3 calls each and every day. I see no solution to this. I would think most --actually I *know* most of these folks will end up going to a BYB. Does everyone get this many calls? granted they are not screened but it still seems like a lot of folks who want a pup.

Re: so many calls!

Summertime is coming up and people think they need a puppy when the kids are home. I get those waves of calls every year. They're always surprised when I tell them the litter that I now have was sold prior to its birth, and they should have started looking 6 months ago!

Re: Re: so many calls!

Summertime is a wonderful time for many families to get a dog. Teachers, in particular, hope to get a pup while they are on vacation. People with other jobs often commit entire vacations to bringing home a new puppy.

There is a learning curve here. The typical buyer has absolutely no idea how difficult it is to find a well bred labrador retriever. I alway feel bad having to turn away some really wonderful people. It comes as no surprise that they end up looking at pet shop and BYB puppies.

Re: Re: Re: so many calls!

20-30 inquiries here via e-mail or phone every wk for the last 6-7 wks ??? "Spring Fever??"

I try to be pleasant and assist those interested in learning and then refer them as best I can to other Breeders and/or the local Specialty club "puppy referal person", a few I talk into looking at an older dog and once in awhile someone realizes that either waiting or not at all is the best answer.

Re: Re: Re: Re: so many calls!

I too try to pass them on to other breeder friends. While I can't keep track of everyone's litter schedule, I try to keep the good prospective families "in the loop" and send them off to another reputable breeder. I would rather send the sale to a friend then have the family end up with a BYB or pet store.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: so many calls!

Yup, me too. I sent someone to the list of litters on this board the other day!

I started my search for a yellow pup last december. I'm a prior lab owner, financially independent, have a fenced yard, etc. You're not going to find a better prospective dog owner than me. Yet, I'm still at square one. I'm on one waiting list, but nothing is confirmed. Most breeders don't respond to emails. Getting a show quality lab seems very difficult unless you have some sort of a connection to a breeder.

I thought the primary goal of being a top quality breeder was to produce the most healthy and conforming labs so that people would not want to buy from a BYB.

Believe it or not, breeders are very seldom easy to get to part with their show picks. Reason? We are waiting for that great one just like you and with how seldom that comes along, you will be hard pressed to find a breeder who will part with one that easily.
Be glad you haven't yet been fed a line of c**p from some less than admirable breeder who sells you a "show pick" that isn't....just to make a buck...

I was also a caller. I did my research and found a wonderful breeder and got to know about her and her dogs and then got on her waiting list. I was not looking for a show dog, even though, I think he is the MOST fabulous ever. I had to wait 6 months! It was worth every second!

Just keep trying, I am sure you will find the right match for you. Remember, anything worth having is worth waiting for. Just by visiting this forum, I can see there are many, many wonderful breeders out there to help callers like you and I. Good Luck!

Thank you for being so frank. I figured a breeder woudn't want to part with the prize or two of the litter. That makes perfect sense. But I thought the breeding of two great dogs would probably produce a very strong litter and I might get one of the lower ranked pups. Would it be easier for me to get a dog if I say I don't want to show?

BTW, I have been as you said "fed a line of c**p from some less than admirable breeder who sells you a "show pick" that isn't....just to make a buck..." That litter was filled with obvious flaws.

thanks!

This was one of the things that prompted me to start the Litter Listings page. I felt having a central place to list **well bred** litters would be a good place for us all. It gives those of us with no puppies to place a place to refer the people looking for well bred pets.

The feed back that I am receiving from those listing has all been very positive.

-Jill

It depends on if you want to show or not. A lot of breeders sell their "pet" puppies on limited registrations, so they cannot be shown in conformation, nor bred and be eligible for AKC papers.

I am reluctant to sell a "show prospect" puppy to someone I don't know.....it means full registration and that takes the control of my breeding program, that I have worked so hard to create, out of my hands.

Maybe better to get a good "pet quality" pup, which often are really not much different than the "show prospect" picks, if you go to a good breeder, and start doing obedience or field or find a breeder who would reverse the limited registration if you do become active in the breed and your pup turns out to be show quality.

The breeding of "two great dogs" doesn't always produce a "very strong litter".

Some dogs are prepotent, some traits are polygenic, and breeding is certainly part art, part science, and many will produce sort of genetic problem.

"Since all dogs (or nearly all dogs) carry some genes for genetic defects, if you wish to control the defect in an effective manner, it is necessary to prioritize them because most dogs don't carry just one or two abnormal genes; they have 4 or 5 or more."

George A. Padgett, D.V.M.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Thank you for being so frank. I figured a breeder woudn't want to part with the prize or two of the litter. That makes perfect sense. But I thought the breeding of two great dogs would probably produce a very strong litter and I might get one of the lower ranked pups. Would it be easier for me to get a dog if I say I don't want to show?

BTW, I have been as you said "fed a line of c**p from some less than admirable breeder who sells you a "show pick" that isn't....just to make a buck..." That litter was filled with obvious flaws.

thanks!

Re: I'm one of those calling!

Looking at the litter listings on this forum is a good suggestion. I would also highly recommend contacting a breeder in Canada, they are much kinder and sincere.

Re: Re: I'm one of those calling!

Oh my, I really take offense to that last line. Who in the world, or why would you ever say a thing like that ! Wait, please don't even answer that.

Re: Re: Re: I'm one of those calling!

Funny, being simply a pet owner myself, I was actually saddened when I read that as well. I had a great experience with my breeder and we continue to talk weekly. There are many great breeders out there who do care about us and our family companions.

Caller, keep trying and don't give up on the breeders, there are nice people here to help you.

they say this because they just bought a puppy from canada because no one here would sell them anything with good reason.

Replying to:

Looking at the litter listings on this forum is a good suggestion. I would also highly recommend contacting a breeder in Canada, they are much kinder and sincere.

Re: It depends....

Selling a puppy on limited registration does not mean that the puppy cannot be shown. Ch Sure Shot Baloo is a good example. If the breeder of Baloo had demanded that this "pet" quality puppy be sterilized as many breeders do, there would be one less Champion. Everyone is unknown at some point in time as you were once too. Breeders have no way of knowing for sure which pups will make it to champion status any more than if a pick pup will have no defects. If a dog has at least 4 champions in it's last 2 generations it could be considered for breeding. A breeder who wants to improve the breed could sell on limited registration and reverse it pending proof of proper screening. There are other qualities that could make a puppy worth breeding besides confirmation. You yourself have said a good "pet quality" pup is often really not much different. It's a shame that many breeders force buyers of pet quality pups to be sterilized and perhaps they should read the article posted by Gina regarding spay and neutering. Greed and control is the real issue. BYB's will dominate and change this breed from their indiscriminate breeding practices to where the lab will no longer have the popularity that it has had in the past. When this happens no one will be complaining about 2-3 calls a day for pups.

--------------------

It depends on if you want to show or not. A lot of breeders sell their "pet" puppies on limited registrations, so they cannot be shown in conformation, nor bred and be eligible for AKC papers.

I am reluctant to sell a "show prospect" puppy to someone I don't know.....it means full registration and that takes the control of my breeding program, that I have worked so hard to create, out of my hands.

Maybe better to get a good "pet quality" pup, which often are really not much different than the "show prospect" picks, if you go to a good breeder, and start doing obedience or field or find a breeder who would reverse the limited registration if you do become active in the breed and your pup turns out to be show quality.

Some dogs are prepotent, some traits are polygenic, and breeding is certainly part art, part science, and many will produce sort of genetic problem.

"Since all dogs (or nearly all dogs) carry some genes for genetic defects, if you wish to control the defect in an effective manner, it is necessary to prioritize them because most dogs don't carry just one or two abnormal genes; they have 4 or 5 or more."

For those of you fielding these calls, don't forget to tell them about rescues in addition to telling them about friends with litters.

Re: Re: It depends....

I do not force puppy buyers to neuter their dogs, and said nothing about that. I HAVE read the article that Gina posted, and am in agreement. A limited registration DOES mean that a dog cannot be shown in conformation while the limited registration is in effect. It does not mean that a limited can't be reversed....as you said....Baloo is a beautiful boy, and I'm glad he is still available to be used and shown...I'm looking forward to hearing his story.

I see nothing wrong with "controlling" my breeding program. We certainly have seen situations even on this forum where dogs were let go on full registrations where it was regretted at a later date. From what I can see, most of my peers use limiteds, co-owns or are very careful where they place dogs on full registrations. I feel I would be neglectful of my dogs to do otherwise.

Replying to:

Selling a puppy on limited registration does not mean that the puppy cannot be shown. Ch Sure Shot Baloo is a good example. If the breeder of Baloo had demanded that this "pet" quality puppy be sterilized as many breeders do, there would be one less Champion. Everyone is unknown at some point in time as you were once too. Breeders have no way of knowing for sure which pups will make it to champion status any more than if a pick pup will have no defects. If a dog has at least 4 champions in it's last 2 generations it could be considered for breeding. A breeder who wants to improve the breed could sell on limited registration and reverse it pending proof of proper screening. There are other qualities that could make a puppy worth breeding besides confirmation. You yourself have said a good "pet quality" pup is often really not much different. It's a shame that many breeders force buyers of pet quality pups to be sterilized and perhaps they should read the article posted by Gina regarding spay and neutering. Greed and control is the real issue. BYB's will dominate and change this breed from their indiscriminate breeding practices to where the lab will no longer have the popularity that it has had in the past. When this happens no one will be complaining about 2-3 calls a day for pups.

--------------------

Well, yes you would be more successful obtaining a pet quality puppy, but then it will be exactly that. A pet on Ltd reg.
Yes, 2 very nice dogs can make a nice litter, if we're extremely lucky and all the stars align at exactly the right moment
But that seldom happens and waiting is part of the game.
No good breeder is going to sell you a less than fabulous puppy to show. It would be bad all around.
My advice, pick a breeder who will work with you. Stick with the breeder and wait.
Good luck!

As a Canadian breeder I RARELY sell puppies south of the border because I can't use the Canadian Kennel Club Non-Breeding Agreement on them.

I often find that I'm contacted for female puppies because I have to sell them "open" and I can't be sure that they aren't going to people who will breed them indiscriminantly.

Given that, I have some wonderful puppy buyers in the US but I was extremely cautious when interviewing them.

Re: Re: Re: I'm one of those calling!

Replying to: "As a Canadian breeder I RARELY sell puppies south of the border because I can't use the Canadian Kennel Club Non-Breeding Agreement on them.
"
------------------------------------------------------
You sure can; I have sold dogs to folks in the US using a non-breeding agreement registered with the CKC. Their CKC registration papers reflect the fact that they are on a non-breeding contract, just like they do if the dog is in Canada.

Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm one of those calling!

Uh since when will the AKC grant AKC papers/Number to a dog that has CKC registration and is on a NonBreeding Contract that is CKC issued and registered as such?

I bought a show puppy from Canada last year, and am delighted that I did so. I had been on no fewer than 6 lists (in the US) over the course of 2.5 years, with no resulting puppy, (for various reasons, some false pregancies, not enough of the gender I wanted, not the "right" puppy etc...) and I know how diffucult it is to aquire a good quality puppy from a good breeder anywhere. It just worked out that they were the ones that had a very nice puppy for me. I went to a Canadian breeder because I loved their dogs, and kept seeing Labs I liked with their kennel in their pedigree. I have a wonderful realtionship with my Canadian breeder, and a beautiful puppy to show for it. Since we don't "know" each other very well yet, I happily agreed to a co-own with my breeder, and they have agreed to give me full ownership after I meet some criteria after she is two years of age. The criteria I promised to fulfil is all things that I would be doing anyways, so it was a no-brainer for me. Protects us both. I am thrilled!

"they say this because they just bought a puppy from canada because no one here would sell them anything with good reason."
Is a pretty nasty thing to say, there are some gorgeous dogs in Canada!

Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm one of those calling!

But those puppies are actually no better than "mutts" to anyone wanting to do any performance events with them in the AKC. The CKC and AKC non-breeding/limited registration contracts aren't interchangable and, therefore, your puppy can never be registered in the US.

That's why you have to sell REGISTERED stock open to the US so the new owners can register them in the AKC.

Re: Re: Im one of the ones calling too!!!

Hi,
Im having the same problem. I want a puppy from a proper breeding. I am formerly a Rottie/Schutzhund person so Im well aware of what things I need to look for and look out for. I learned the hard way by ending up with a couple of bad dogs. We just had to put my boyfriends Lab down this past week, he was 13, and my shadow. We are both lost without him. Both he and I are in our later 30's with no kids and the silence was deafening. We were going to wait, and by the looks of it still might be, but now he doesnt want to. If theres anyone out there able to guild me to a good breeder Id be very happy. The dog would be too, his back yard is a nice big lake!.
Thanks,
Tara

Re: Re: Re: Im one of the ones calling too!!!

Did you check the litter listing on this site? Maybe there is someone in your area you can go see. Good Luck!