Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Composting dog waste

Well spring has sprung and I have been reading several articles on composting of dog waste. Does anyone here do it? I know you should not use the finished composte on vegetable beds but you can use it on perenial gardens and lawns.... I am VERY interested in it. Here is a great study I found that they did in Alaska.
http://www.uaf.edu/coop-ext/compost/dogs.html

Re: Composting dog waste

Yippee! I was kicking myself for keeping 10 dogs. Now I learn that is the minimum number for making dog compost. Ain't it great!!!!

Re: Re: Composting dog waste

We compost everything. We have this huge pile, including waste from my brother-in-laws horses, the neighbors cows, our dogs, in the spring when the town cleans the dirt beside the roads in the gutters..... Its a huge pile and my husband brings home the tractors on a regular basis to roll the pile over, so that it all gets to rot down.

I would say if your going to do it mix it with some old dirt, to help it rot down.

We just build a home made doggie septic system to compost ours with an garbage can and burried it in the yard.
I read to start it with septic starter which I cannot find anywhere but folks in the biz told me to use lime to start the process.
http://www.cityfarmer.org/petwaste.html
Heres to hoping it works.

The septic starter you can find online in any of the pet catalogs. www.petedge.com www.omahavaccine.com etc...
They sell the dogge septic and they sell the enzymes to go with it.

If you have a small kennel but not a tractor. They make a manure spreader small enough to fit behind your mower or 4Wheeler To spread on your acreage. I plan on getting one for the tree plots we have.

Re: Re: Composting dog waste

Has anyone used the Doggie Dooley? How many dogs does it do? It looks like there are really only good for one or two large dogs

Re: Re: Re: Composting dog waste

I have one but don't use it anymore. I believe there are two sizes, but I don't remember how many dogs the larger of the two is supposed to be for.

I found it to be more trouble than it was worth. You have to pour large amounts of water into it (if I remember correctly two times per week?) and add a solution. I got tired of huffing a huge bucket out to it and trying to pour it in without splashing the water back up.

yes me to. I was using it for 6 dogs. and it took a while to eat all that waste down.

I have been told to use lime but must be "quick lime" the fine powder, not pellet form to help mulch down the manure pile.

We use this in the horse stalls for urine before putting down fresh bedding and it works great.

Doggie Dooley Re: Composting dog waste

We have a Doggie Dooley. If you live in the Frozen Northeast, the thing is useless for months. You also can't use it if you've got a high-water table *and* you have to be willing to open the lid and pour in water in hot summer months.

No thanks.

Re: Composting dog waste/Composter on sale at Costco

Costco has a nice BIG compost bin on sale right now. Holds 150 gallons of composte/poop and saw dust. We have 12 Labs and I think it will do.......
I can't wait to start my experiment!