Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
whelping room temperature?

What temperature do you keep your whelping room?

Re: whelping room temperature?

Around 68-70 degrees, with a heat lamp (actually a ceramic heat emitter) in the corner of the whelping box for the first few days, depending on time of year. I also like to put a top over part of my box (it's a Jonart box) which holds in the body heat and lets the mom feel like she's in a den.

I don't use a heat lamp, heating pad and a warmer room. Whatever works for you.

I had a litter here in Utah the end of February. I kept my house at around 70 and used two Snuggle Safes in the whelping box.

Johanne

What's a Snuggle Safe?

You can find it at KV Vet supply - here you go:

http://www.kvvet.com/KVVet/productr.asp?pf%5Fid=86463&gift=False&0=product%5Ffamily%2Easp%2Cfamily%5Fid%3D1574%26Tree%3D%2CSnuggle%20Safe%20and%20Accessories&HSLB=False&mscssid=04F9570816CDD46FAA51CBEC8988592D

I love my snuggle safe, thats what I use in my box and its great for a trip to the vet. My room is warm at 70 degrees and if I keep it any warmer the pups fuss ALOT! I have only had two litters, so this is a novice talking, but so far its worked for me

For the first few days, I keep the room temperature at 70. I use a ceramic heating lamp (check the reptile section at the pet store.) The lamp goes over one corner of the box. I watch the puppies - if they pile up and are quiet, all is well. (When they are piled up, Mom is less likely to step or lay on one.) Once they start to spread out, I raise the heat lamp higher off the whelping box. If they start crying, I put wet towels or frozen water bottles in. I find that the pups don't need the higher room temperature or the heat lamp by the end of the first week. Always go by the behavior of the pups.