Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Increasing Exercise

I have a two and a half year old chocolate girl. She is in good shape with no apparent problems. Weight is only 59 pounds. I usually walk her for about 30 minutes most days.

The doctor just told me he would like me to get in 11,000 steps a day. Yikes!!! From what I can figure, that will probably mean a 60 minute walk most days (my knees went several years ago so jogging is out).

My question is this: I would love to take my girl with me but I am aware of all of the joint problems that labs can get. Walking is supposed to be one of the least stressful exercises for a human's joint. Will taking my girl with me cause her harm??

I'm sure many of you have a lot of experience in this and I would surely appreciate your guidance.

Thanks,
Rich R.

Re: Increasing Exercise

At 2 1/2 her growth plates have closed. As long as she is fit there is no reason why she couldn't go with you. Can you do two 30 minute walks each day? May be more pleasurable for both of you.

I have a 17 month young lady who is 52 lbs.
She is recently spayed and will increase in her weight
now by a few lbs....she gives her brothers and the
service pup in training here a bunch of fun daily.
Peanut is the ring leader.....

Your little girl will love the exercise with you,
I am sure....the idea to divide it is best.

Jane and Peanut

Re: Re: Increasing Exercise

My gosh, this is a 2-1/2 year old girl that people are telling this woman to split up an hour walk. Guess I'm horrible to take my dogs for day long hikes!

What about running with your lab? Is that okay or is walking more preferable?

Another thing that you can do is find what I call a "pick up" game. A group of folks who meet in the early am or evenings with their dogs to socialize and play. It's not the same as a dog park as it is less restricted, though a dog park might be fun and exercising as well. I have met some great people at "pick up games". I can reliably find two to three different groups at different parks to socialize and exercise the Murph. Walking on leash can be tedious and boring, try to find a fun way to get those steps in and it will become a no brainer!

I didn't say that an hour walk wasn't good or doable. Just that I'm sure the dog would prefer two walks a day vs. one walk a day.If you can/want to do two hour long walks a day more power to you!

What age you should start excersising your labs?, I start 15 minute walks with them and a little swiming at about 4 months.
Are they too young?