Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
6 week old pup with rectal prolapse

I just noticed this tonight. I see the Merck manual on line says it should be re-inserted. If I try to do that she cries. I'll call the vet as soon as they open in the am. Has anyone had experience with this problem? Does it become a life long thing?

Re: 6 week old pup with rectal prolapse

Lube it well and try to re-insert. If it won't go in, be sure to keep it moist. If you have other pups, be sure to separate her so they don't chew it! See your vet first chance in the AM! Poor kiddo.

Re: Re: 6 week old pup with rectal prolapse

I had a pup with this years ago. The vet actually put a suture across to help hold it in. If I remember correctly We made sure the stool was fairly soft while the stitch was in. I think we only had to do it for a couple of weeks and then it was fine. Umtil you do get to the vet, do keep moist with KY or someting along those lines. I also seem to recall that they had us use preparation H after the suture was in. Had the same experience with a sheep but that was not successful.

Debbie

Many years ago I was given a pup that had been brought into the clinic with this problem.

The sad little fella had been left for several days before he was brought in ... to be put to sleep. My then husband surgically corrected, babied him through it and promptly fell for the little guy.

To answer your question about it happening again ... this pup lived to be 14 without another issue.

Well, I called the vet at 10:30 last night (why is it always a Sunday night???) He said to push it back in with KY Jelly and wake every hour and repeat for the night. As soon as I push it back in it pops right back out nd it's bigger this morning. She slept with me in my bed last night while I did that all night long. What a good little puppy...asked twice to get off the bed to piddle. We're going to the vet as soon as they open. Thank you so much for the responses.

Re: Re: 6 week old pup with rectal prolapse

Few years ago I had a pup with a bit of this...our repro vet had us use Preparation H on the pup and after a few days it cleared up. Is the pup straining when she goes to the bathroom? This can be a cause also, and if so, addressing that issue would help with healing. Depends on the severity and the cause.

Renee

Re: Re: Re: 6 week old pup with rectal prolapse

Renee's experience is the same as mine: my vet suggested that the pup of mine might have been straining to poop - it did correct itself, Pup continues to be fine.

6 week old pup with rectal prolapse-update--what about Albon?

The vet put a purse string stitch in and said it actually wasn't rectal prolapse--more like a hemorrhoid. I didn't notice any straining--in fact stools have been on the soft side. At this point the pups had been wormed twice. The vet asked for a stool sample thinking maybe coccidia. She gave me Albon to treat them all. When I called back the vet tech said the stool sample showed nothing but the stools are all so nicely formed (and easily picked up!)after I gave the Albon. I mentioned to the vet that I wished I just had Albon in the house--she nodded her head. Any thoughts on this> Could I have saved myself and this pup some trouble?