Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
pup w/ recurrent diarrhea

This is a follow-up post to a query a few weeks ago. I am working with my vet but wanted to run by forum in case I am missing something.

16wk old pup who had been on Albon when we picked her up at 7 wks. Diarrhea represented few wks post and placed on Flagyl for 7 days, diarrhea reappeared post (48 hours+-), Flagyl again (8days)w/ three doses of Panacur. Passed a round worm post. Off Flagyl 24hrs, diarrhea reappears, now w/ episode of vomiting (over the weekend...tried Pepto helped for 24 hrs), diarrhea again 5 watery stools last night. Took stool in to vet this am; they sent off for culture. Vet Places pup back on Albon 4 tabs today (to follow with 2 a day for days). Pup was placed on Hills Prescription Diet, per vet, which she would not eat at noon, tried again this pm and she threw it up. She will drink water w/o problem. She did have her final shots last Wednesday (including rabies). Until today she has been on the same diet her breeder recommended. I have taken all precautions to pick up each stool. In view of her vomiting food tonight, I will re-contact vet first thing am. If she continues to vomit and/or shows any serious shift I will take her to ER vet tonight. This evening I started to worry about Parvo? would this present over a period of time like this? Of course, the weekends and nights- when you can't call your vet that the mind works overtime.(We had planned to 3 does her again w/ Panacur in three weeks just to make sure we dealt w/ any round worms).

Any thoughts appreciated.

Re: pup w/ recurrent diarrhea

I meant to say...we had planned to give her three more doses of Panacur three weeks from her last dose.

Next step might be radiographs to look for any gas distended loops of bowel or foreign object obstruction?
Might ask your vet if an intussusception should be ruled out.

I've never found 3 doses of panacur to be enough. We do 7 days on, 7 days off, then another 5 days on. You might discuss with your vet after everything else has been ruled out.

I concur with the x-ray route...

Hate to scare you, but you might want to consider doing bloodwork. I had a pup a few years ago, similar sounding situation and the pup ended up having calcification of the kidneys....number of possible reasons in hindsite; food with vit D toxicity, rat poisening, renal dysplasia???

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

This is a follow-up post to a query a few weeks ago. I am working with my vet but wanted to run by forum in case I am missing something.

16wk old pup who had been on Albon when we picked her up at 7 wks. Diarrhea represented few wks post and placed on Flagyl for 7 days, diarrhea reappeared post (48 hours+-), Flagyl again (8days)w/ three doses of Panacur. Passed a round worm post. Off Flagyl 24hrs, diarrhea reappears, now w/ episode of vomiting (over the weekend...tried Pepto helped for 24 hrs), diarrhea again 5 watery stools last night. Took stool in to vet this am; they sent off for culture. Vet Places pup back on Albon 4 tabs today (to follow with 2 a day for days). Pup was placed on Hills Prescription Diet, per vet, which she would not eat at noon, tried again this pm and she threw it up. She will drink water w/o problem. She did have her final shots last Wednesday (including rabies). Until today she has been on the same diet her breeder recommended. I have taken all precautions to pick up each stool. In view of her vomiting food tonight, I will re-contact vet first thing am. If she continues to vomit and/or shows any serious shift I will take her to ER vet tonight. This evening I started to worry about Parvo? would this present over a period of time like this? Of course, the weekends and nights- when you can't call your vet that the mind works overtime.(We had planned to 3 does her again w/ Panacur in three weeks just to make sure we dealt w/ any round worms).

Any thoughts appreciated.

Had a diarrhea and vomiting problem about seven or eight months ago and can only tell you what worked for us. Similar scenerio, at about 8 weeks the puppy started with loose stools and the occassional vomitting. He was on Pro Plan Chicken and Rice Adult. We ran several fecals and did blood work, nothing showed up. We treated for coccidia and giardia anyway as those parasites may still be present even with negative results. He was constantly monitored by vet to avoid dehydration. We also did xrays to rule out a blockage. Everything negative, but the puppy continued to have various degrees of diarrhea and vomitting. We ended up admitting him into our vet's hospital, they took him off all food and water for 24 hours, administered med to stop the vomitting (common drug, sorry I can't remember at this moment), eventually started to offer water and when he held that down they started to feed him Eukanuba Low Sodium Puppy Food. Nothing else- no treats, no rawhides, he could eat nothing except his food twice a day. He was fed a lot less that what you would probably feed a growing puppy at that age. At 13 or 14 weeks he was getting 1 cup am and 1 cup pm Over several weeks we slowly increase to 2 c each meal. We kept the puppy on this food (Only) until he was almost 7 months old. No other treats, dog or human) He did great,stools remained firm, no more vomitting.

My vet said he has seen a number of other young puppies whose digestive systems could not tolerate the traditional dog food do really well on this low sodium Eukanuba product. But we did not try this food until we ruled out other possibilities. I would get an xray taken as well.

So the pup has only vomited twice? The bigger issue is the recurring loose stools? Just trying to make sure I understand correctly. My first puppy was like this. From day one (8 weeks), he had recurring diarrhea. His fecals always came back negative and the vet would give me Metronidazole. A few days after the meds were gone, the diarrhea would come back. It turns out he has food allergies and couldn't tolerate what I was feeding him. Since I figured that out and started feeding him a food with none of his allergens, he's been fine. I agree with doing some bloodwork as well.

Have you had x-rays done or a barium swallow to see if there is a blockage? There could be intermittent diarrhea and vomiting with a blockage. I had a puppy from a litter that went from a blockage which we kept treating for parasites to an intusseseption. The small intestine telescopes into the large intestine. It can be an intermittent thing that slides in and out or a complete one that stays in. This is a medical emergency. Part of the intestine can die and become necrotic. It sure sounds like your puppy is now dealing with an intusseseption.

Re: Re: pup w/ recurrent diarrhea

I appreciate all the feedback. She has been clear of diarrhea almost 48 hours and vomiting over 24. She is on Albon. Feeding her boiled chicken, rice and a small amount of kibble-which she is tolerating well. We are waiting for the stool culture results. She has been very playful today. I am taking her back to the vet in am and have requested an x-ray to rule-out any potential obstruction. Once we have ruled that out (keeping all fingers crossed) I will work with her diet as I wonder about potential allergies (as suggested in some responses). I just hadn't thought of a blockage with diarrhea? My older lab (who had a few obstructions as a youngster)only presented with vomiting, no diarrhea. Again, thank you all for taking the time to respond.

Re: Re: Re: pup w/ recurrent diarrhea

If working, keep it up, but all the meds sound like so much. I had a similar problem a couple of years ago. Had autopsy done on 2 pups...found nothing. As I was waiting for the results to come back I had started the remaining litter on Neomycin Sulfate, (Bio-Sol), 2 capfuls per gallon of water, 2 cc of injectable B12 Complex, squirt right into the gallon of water and 2 TBSP. Karo and gave this as a sole source of drinking water...since I started doing this I have had NO coccidia, NO diarrhea and no other intestinal proplems. I give this at times of stress such as weaning, going to new homes and worming...I send a gallon of water with them when they go to their new home.