Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Slow maturing female

The post about the slow maturing male below prompted me to post this one. I have a 1 year bitch puppy. I keep going back and forth (and back and forth) on keeping her, or placing her in a pet home. If she were a male, I wouldn't be wondering about her and would just give her more time! It's just that I can usually see more developement in my bitch puppies at 1 year, where as the males typically take longer. I keep wondering where that 8 week old typey puppy went and if she's coming back??? My husband says seeing her now, he can't believe it was the same puppy? I would love to hear any 'swan' stories to give me hope, or is it probably just wishful thinking on my part. I bred her, and as I said, know these are slow maturing lines. I just usually see 'more' in my bitch puppies at this point. I keep holding back on placing her because I LOVED her at 8 weeks. If she was a male I'd be cool about it, head and all! GEORGOUS head at 8 weeks...wondering where that went also????

Re: Slow maturing female

I would love to hear also. I have the same thing going on. But now she is getting close to 17 mos. I have wondered where that nice, nice 8 weeks old pup went also.

My 3 year chocolate girl was a slow maturer - her co-owner kept telling me that her feelings would not be hurt if I wanted to place her. My girl began to blossom at 16 months and took her first points at 17 months. A very lovely girl now. She has been a great producer too. So hold on, there are swan stories out there. Don't give up.

Re: Re: Slow maturing female

Is your young bitch short? Or is she just not filling out like you thought. I hear ya about where did the nice head go. I have a 9 mo. old I'm waiting to see if she'll grow more. I'm afraid she'll be too short.

Donna

Hang in there if you think she's got potential! I had a girl once that knocked my socks off as an 8-weeker, then proceeded to become the scrawniest, weirdest-headed excuse for a Labrador I'd ever seen...then right at about 14 months, literally overnight like magic she snapped back into her beautiful self. I did a lot of doubletaking for a while!