Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bad Films - Bad OFA Rating Question

I had a new vet shoot my final OFA x-rays. The elbows looked good and passed. The hips didn't look that great on film - but not terrible. I have been breeding for several years and looked at MANY x-rays...like I said, the positioning was not the greatest, but not terrible. However, OFA reported them as "mild dysplasia". I want to take them to another vet for a resubmit. Should I? Or just spay and place? She is a nice girl - tons of bone and coat. I would like to use her if she is sound. Has anyone had success with a resubmit?

Re: Bad Films - Bad OFA Rating Question

I have read on here when someone posted that that once OFA reads as fail it is in the file and will not pass no matter how many times you submit.

This is why someone I know sent her films to OVC in Ontario Canada to get a pass.

Anyone else?

RE-submit, never spay and place a dog without a do-over !

And never use an inexperienced vet either for something as important as films !

Re: Re: Bad Films - Bad OFA Rating Question

If you love this bitch that much, yes, have the films done again, but be sure it is by someone who knows what they're doing! Ask around, find out who your other breeder friends are using. Like Shalane said,
" never use an inexperienced vet either for something as important as films !" Ain't it the truth?

Good luck on your do-over!

I've heard of many cases where the OFA has made mistakes, reporting dysplastic hips and upon resubmission, the dog gets a Good or Excellent. The OFA is not fool proof, they have and do make major mistakes. I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Especially if you believe the positioning was off. But I would wait at least 6 months to ensure that the vets reading for OFA have been rotated.

I was in a similar situation recently with one of my girls. She wasn't in the best shape when we took her in for her x-rays, she was slightly overweight and hadn't had much exercise in recent months. I'm currently working on getting the weight off of her and I'm swimming her every day to get her in tip top shape. I'll redo in a few more months.

Resubmit in 6 months. Use an experienced vet and don't send the new xrays until you get a set you like.
Good luck

Re: Re: Re: Bad Films - Bad OFA Rating Question

I had the same vet do 3 of my dogs and all 3 failed (you'd think I'd learn)their hips. I went to another vet and all 3 passed with a good. I only waited about a month. Positioning is VERY important. Since then my original vet has worked out his kinks.

By all means, get another opinion

I sent my dog with my mentor to have his films done a couple of years ago. She called and said "bad news; his hips are probably not going to clear". I was heartbroken.

Took him to my vet to do the pre-neutering anesthesia workup and showed the vet the films. He was horrified. The dog was *bow legged*. Position was AWFUL! I still thank God that the vet asked to see the films.

We reshot, resubmitted and lo! He got a GOOD.

Don't make any hasty decisions in your disappointment/upset. Reshoot and resubmit, is my vote.

Re: Re: Re: Bad Films - Bad OFA Rating Question

Take the x-ray again with a vet that knows how to take good x-rays of the hip. OFA will pass if they were positioned wrong. That is the good thing about OFA, you can resubmit as much as you want.
I know a breeder that had a boy that was dysplastic and she finished the dog anyway. Then placed him into a hunting home at 2yrs. At 3yrs, the new owner took the dog to his vet, reshot the x-rays and the dog got a OFA-Good. There was no change in the hips so OFA passed the dog.

When you resubmit hip or elbow x-rays, do you need to tell OFA that it is the same dog or will they know by AKC # alone?

I would call and ask OFA what the 3 scores are too. I always call and ask what the 3 score's are. Good info to have on breeding stock. I did go to the seminar are Potomac. There was a speaker from OFA. She said they do make mistakes. Really makes me nervous!

I have only done re submits with prelims. Never finals.As I have never had a bad reading on the finals.But I wouldn't spay her. I would do a do over for your own peace of mind.

They may give you a look see but they won't change your rating.And always use an experienced vet. Besure your dog is not over weight.It does or did with a dog of mine with how the ratings came out.

That's not true. I had one that was rated as mildly dysplastic on two year old films. I had them r

received an OFA good.

Yes I always call either prior to recieving my results.Or once i get them.Find out all the results were from the 3 vets.

I was told by a very prominent and respected vet that he did hips on three dogs and all three dogs come back as fair. They re-did all three and they all came back excellent. He also said you don't have to wait to re-submit, you can do it immediately after you get your results. The viewing panel (which I believe changes every three months) can sometimes be a tougher bunch with attitudes.

YES, GET A SECOND OPINION.

NOT TRUE!