Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My Litter born yesterday and way into the night

I am heartbroken after burying 5 pups who did not make it....4 survived and are thriving.....Mother is strong and healthy with a top sire stud dog.....She went into Labor on her own at 11:00 AM yesterday and finished early this morning for 9 pups total....

Here is my question??????I have never seen anything like this in my life of breeding, every other puppy lived and the 1st was DOA and every other one after that.....I was scarred and saddened....1st born underdeveloped and drowned all other dead ones had no placentas and were DOA and looked drowned but developed.....

My Vet said that this was because there was too much crowding???? It doesn't make since to me as I have had 11 pups with no deaths.....?????? Is this a placenta problem in the bitch? This is her first whelp and need to know what and if I can ever breed her again??????? Thanks,

Re: My Litter born yesterday and way into the night

First, Leeda, I am so sorry for your loss. It's tough to bury babies. As for your girl, in my experience, bitches deliver pups from alternating horns of the uterus....so for your girl, she may have had one diseased horn with no good placental attachments and a normal horn with live babies. What caused the disease? I can't help you with that, sorry. A bacterial culture or serology may be helpful. Ask your Vet.I wish you good luck with your kidlets and success in the future.
Lisa

Re: Re: My Litter born yesterday and way into the night

I agree.Unfortunately it sounds like the placentas would not detach from the uterus in that horn for whatever reason. The contractions caused the pups to break away without the placenta, and without the placenta the pups would not be able to survive. I am so sorry this happened to you

Im so sorry for the loss of your puppies.

Michelle

Oh Leeda,

I am so sorry to hear this. So sad and unfortunate.

I agree with Lisa and Breeder. Thats what it sounds like to me.

Did your girl ever pass the 5 placentas?

I hope you find answers to this and statistics to help in your decision on future breedings. Its so difficult to find answers with something uncommon.

I feel awful for you. Email me if you need to.

I'm sure you are exhausted and heartbroken. I'm so sorry. Have you considered Herpes? Are the rest of the babies doing well?

sounds like her labor did not progress quick enough and a c section was in order. The placentas probably detached early and they died waiting for her to progress.
How long between pups?

Re: Re: My Litter born yesterday and way into the night

Thank you all for your responses..It was close to 2 hours in between puppies, in answer to the above response. 4 puppies are foodiacs and very healthy and alive......I tend to agree about 1 horn being infected and I think the infection came from the deformed 1st dead puppy. I had seen a few dark drops on the weekend and became worried but way to early for puppies......The every other one being dead goes along with the rotating horn explanation...Wht else for every other pup??? My Vet tends to agree too.....Thanks doe all you answers. Leeda

Leeda,

I am so sorry for your loss. I know how heartbreaking and difficult your experience must have been for you. I wish you the very best on your remaining puppies and hope that they are strong and continue to thrive.