Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Slow maturing boys

Do you all think one of these slow maturing boys will still stand a chance to get a wider chest. Wider between his legs. 16mos Has alot to offer, bone, head coat, balanced. Just can't fill him up and still looks like a 9 mos old with the legs ? Any advice welcome or history you have with boys.

Re: Slow maturing boys

It depends on the lines how slow they are to mature. Boys will get to a stage when they spring rib and the chest drops and fills out. In our line this typically happens at about 3 years of age. I had one that didn't spring rib until he was 4 years old. Some lines don't fill out in the front. Look at his parents, aunts and uncles and grandparents to see how they ended up.
I think sometimes we show our dogs way too young before they are mature. Look at the specials class at a specialty and see how nice the boys get when they are 4 or 5 years old.
Just be patient.
Traci

I think I have your boy's twin here at my house! Would sure like to know the very same thing as I have some hopes for this boy, but I'm just finding it hard to look at his "dorkiness" right now! Ack!

I think some lines truly are slow to mature. My boy looked great at 8 weeks and then I swear he'd been switched with another dog until he was 4 years old and then suddenly, here was this beautiful boy that I remembered so long ago!!!!!

Chantel

HI I HAVE A 12MONTH OLD YELLOW DOG FROM ROCHEBY KENNELS THAT HAS GREAT CONSTRUCTION AND SHAPE WITH A BEAUTIFUL HEAD BUT HAS NOT STARTED TO FILL OUT YET I THINK I MAY BE WAITING A LONG TIME,I ALSO HAD A YELLOW MALE FROM NOVACROFT KENNELS YEARS AGO AND HE DIDNT START TO LOOK MATURE TILL HE WAS 3 YEARS OLD GOOD LUCK