Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Vet advice

My sister bought a puppy that has developed a form a gum cancer the doctor has not seen this befor in a puppy this young 5-6 months, it was removed and has since grown back. She was feeding nutro-max which was on the recall list I am not sure if this could be a symtom of that? or what would cause the canser in the first place any info would help.TIA

Re: Vet advice

The World Health Organization does not classify melamine as a carcinogen. Neither does the EPA.

Three other contaminants were found in the urine and kidneys of animals sickened or killed after eating the recalled pet foods, those contaminants are cyanuric acid, amilorine, and amiloride which are all byproducts of melamine.

Most researchers feel it was the cyanuric acid that made the pets ill.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Web site describes repeated exposure to cyanuric acid as: "When ingested in large amounts the substance may have effects on the kidneys, resulting in tissue lesions.

In looking through several sites of symptoms of pets that got sick, none mention gum cancers.
The urinary tract seems to be the target organ.

Re: Re: Vet advice

What type of cancer does he have? The most common thing we see is an epulis and those can be benign or cancerous altho most have been benign in my experience.

Re: Vet advice

The Diagnosis is Gingival mass: Odontogenic Epithelial tumor, possible acanthomatous ameloblastoma. not sure what that is?? or cause?... any idea?

Re: Re: Re: Vet advice

Kathy, is it possible that my veteran got his bladder cancer from tainted food? I know it's a stretch, but he was such a healthy dog until he was struck with it at age 10. Could some of the canine cancers be attributed to these tainted foods?