Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Young Male Upsetting the Pack

I have a young male, 18 months, that has potential and is getter better and better as he matures. Only problem is that he doesn't mesh with the rest of the pack. He's not a fighter by any means. He just harrasses, humps, licks, sucks ears and basically picks on the others. Some sit there and let him dominate. Others growl, but the boy just comes right back. It's getting on my nerves and definetly the nerves of other dogs, so I have to keep him separate. How would you handle this behavior? I'm about ready to place him but can't bring myself to.

Re: Young Male Upsetting the Pack

He needs a job. He is trying on his stuff. ;)

He is definatly the odd guy out. I've had ones like that in the past. The older dogs just do not have the same ideas as this young guy, and they can get grumpy with him.

You may need to let him be with dogs younger than himself to play with. He may find out himself just how annoying he is to the others through experience. If he has younger dogs jumping all over him, sucking his ears etc. He may decide it's time to grow up. Sometimes being the big brother can help in maturity.

If you cannot do that, then you may need to start Obedience and manners training with him when he does those annoying things. 15-20 minutes of heeling and sit stays etc. in front of the rest of the pack can do wonders for the ego. A week of that and he should be a more respecting dog. Good luck with him. He will eventually be an adult and all this can be a distant memory until the next goofball........

I'm curious - did this boy grow up with the pack??? TIA

Has he ever bred a bitch?..or is he just an overly interested adolescent who doesn't really know the ropes?

"Overly interested adolescent" - VERY diplomatically put!!

I had a boy just like that. I ended up putting
him in the kennel with the most dominant bitch
I have for a few days. It worked wonderfully.