Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Questions about it all.

Ok I don't know if I should post or not because there are some head hunters out there. I am new. Having all the test done on my bitch OFA, CERF, Optigen. Just waiting on clearances. CERF was normal. I didnt take her to a show, I went as an observer, then I thought she will never sit still. How do you get them to be so still? I have been to classes after classes. But boy she will swim to get a duck out of the water. Well now she is 2 never been to a show. I am probably too late to show her. I co own her, she comes from an excellent line. Depending on her tests I want to find a nice boy out there. I want my daughter to be heavily involved in this sport, and develop a line of labs that are beautiful to look at, near perfect confirmation, and do whatever possible to better the breed.Anyhow I dont even know if there is a question involved in this whole thing. But someone nice reply to me. I email back and forth with a nice lady in the UK, but it isnt the same. I guess I need to go with someone to a specialty, I feel dumb just standing there by myself and all the different clicks just look at me with the "what is he doing here look?" How can I get more involved?

Re: Questions about it all.

This might help you with the show training; it's all practice and teaching your dog discipline and manners without having to be harsh about it. It's a good book, relevant to more than just starting with a puppy.
http://www.thewelltraineddog.com/

If there is a dog club in your area, join it. Doesn't have to be a Lab club -- join an all-breed club. You will get to know the ropes of dog shows and other activities (obedience or whatever) and meet other "doggie folks" who share your hobby.

How's that for starters?

Hi Toolbox,

It might be helpful to let us know what area you live in and that way we might be able to put you touch in with some show breeders in that area.

If your bitch is a nice quality girl that you are interested in showing, perhaps you may contact the breeder and see if she can mentor you. If your breeder doesn't show, there may be a good chance that your girl won't do well in shows since the breeder isn't involved in that aspect of breeding and therefore won't know the finer points of what it takes breed and select show quality puppies. Please don't take this as a jab, but breeding for the show ring takes a lot of knowledge of struture, type and movement. Usually show quality puppies don't happen by accident. But with that said, if your girl has a nice pedigree and you can find a mentor to help you, it is possible to breed to a nice male and get some nice pupppies from that and continue to breed to upgrade your quality. However, it is said that it is much better to start out with the best that you can find as well as getting a mentor in the process!

Best of luck and if you'd like more information, please feel free to email me. I am always more than willing to help newcomers to the breed who have a genuine interest in learning how to breed responsibily to preserve this wonderful breed!

Dianne

Please visit http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/breedersforum/index.php?board=1.0
and sign up to get to know people. Use your REAL name and get to know real people in return....sounds like what you are in need of.
This forum is wonderful but yes, it can be an intimidating one. I love to read all the info on this site but if you are looking for a more personal interaction in your forum I found it the best place to get comfortable before you dive into this forum. Again, please don't think I am disparaging this forum, because that isn't my intent, but we all know it can be kinda rough and tumble and as long as you have GOOD intentions and are wanting to learn from others you certainly shouldn't be kept on the sidelines thinking that these "cliques" are anything more than other labby lovers that would be happy to get to know you:)
best wishes on your learning!

Re: Re: Questions about it all.

Hi Toolbox,
I think it's a very good idea to try to find a local Labrador club and think about joining. You will learn so much from the long time breeders. Most breeders are very helpful and if you ask for an honest opinion regarding your girl they will be happy to help. Also attending breed handling classes will help more then you know. You have the opportunity to talk to people that have been handling dogs in the breed ring for years. Last of all be sure that your girl is getting plenty of exercise. She'll be more likely to settle down when it's time to work with her if she's had a chance to kick up her heels a bit. Best of luck to you!

Re: Re: Re: Questions about it all.

The above comments really do say it all. After Loosing my first lab to Hip Displaysia I wanted to do all I could for the breed so I spent 5 years reading, learning, and finding a mentor. I have finally began conformation classes and will be entering my first show real soon with my new pup. It all takes time, patience, and alot of Research but if it is your passion it will come to you. I have found the key for me is never stop learning. There truly is something you can learn everyday. Feel free to contact me at anytime - Jennifer

Re: Re: Re: Re: Questions about it all.

If your girl is show quality, 2 years old is not too late to start with handling classes and show ing her. My lines usually aren't really ready to show until they are three or four. But get her evaluated first to avoid wasting time and money. Handling classes are a good idea for a beginner to teach you to show.

"I went as an observer, then I thought she will never sit still. How do you get them to be so still?"

They learn to. It takes them a few times in the ring, but they figure it out pretty quickly.

"I guess I need to go with someone to a specialty, I feel dumb just standing there by myself and all the different clicks just look at me with the "what is he doing here look?" How can I get more involved?"

I just ask whoever's sitting next to me, "What is it about that dog's ___ that gets my attention?" Head/gait/etc. They'll answer with something, and it doesn't have to be right (i.e. they might say he has horrible shoulders and you were drawn to what you thought was a lovely topline, or they might say he has wonderful shoulders and you thought his topline was off, or they might tell you something totally wrong like "his head is too fieldy" and you're looking at a very correct head)--the point is, the conversation is started. And it's a question that doesn't make YOU say anything at all about the dog. I do it at all-breeds when I'm watching other breeds. I've talked to people in probably 1/4 of the AKC breeds that way. Knowing structure in other breeds teaches you a lot about structure in your own.

Re: Re: Questions about it all.

Toolbox:
If you would like to, e-mail me privately and we can chat back and forth. I have been showing for only 5 years and was blessed with wonderful mentors. If I can help in any way with a newbie, I am happy to.
I am still learning a ton all of the time, but I have also learned so much already. 2 of my co-own Labs are bred by breeder/ judges. They are both fabulous and keep me on my toes, LOL!
And so you know, I have 2 young ones, a lady who is 23 mos and a dog who is 22 mos. They have been to 1 match and 1 show. I am bringing my girl out at the Pioneer Valley Specialty for the first time in a long while. She and the dog needed to mature. I am sure they won't be ringwise and I will need to be patient. But that's truly OK. I showed my Champion so much as a puppy he tired of it. Sure, I loved all the ribbons, but it was too much for him. IMHO. I am going a different route with these 2. Good luck!

Re: Re: Re: Questions about it all.

Being relatively new myself, I must say that the best way to get involved is to join a club. I am in a lab specialty club as well as my local kennel club. Through my KC I met the other lab people, one lady in particular, who had helped me immensely....just teaching me things and showing me around so that I can meet people.

Good luck, I don't think 2 is too late to start...I found that with my dogs, the age did alot for them....

I do socializing and training for dogs getting ready to go to shows - generally before they go with a handler. Typically they travel with me for a couple of weekends, experiencing the sights and smells of shows, and getting used to the traveling routine including crates, ex-pens and so on. My own dogs are very seasoned and they are part of the training - they are a show dog "pack" and model the calm behavior for the new dog.

When you are doing it yourself, you need to keep going to shows and keep a pocket full of wonderful treats to tease your dog with and keep his or her attention. Don't worry too much about training for what goes on in the ring until you can reliably get his or her attention.

There are lots of other things you can do - feel free to e-mail me with questions.

This is all some great info. I surely appreciate it all. Thanks for everyone offering emails and what not.

Nancy I have seen alot of your posts on this website. Im in the process of reading all the posts that are interesting a knowledgeable. I am hoping I can get off work next year to go the Potomac, that looks awesome.

Thanks again for everyone's response!!!