Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
puppies

I would like to know how many breeders allow pups from a litter to go to there new homes a day or two early?

Re: puppies

Depends on how experienced and if they have other dogs.

If I can avoid it I don't. I would rather keep them longer than shorter.

1 day in a pup's new life learning is important.

Re: Re: puppies

I had my last breeder let me take my pup a week early, but we also have other dogs and experience. Plus she went back to the breeders for a week when we took a vacation.

I would probably only allow it if I know the people have lab experience.

Re: Re: Re: puppies

If shots and worming are current and is understood not to take puppy out into the public...is fine. There is a prevent. you can make and send home to prevent "shipping fever", coccidia and all the other little stresses a puppy may experience. I can give to you if interested. I have used for years and it works!!

IS Ok....What is your prevent that you make up? I too, try to take the precautions on the stress when the puppies go home. I would love to know what you make up to send with them.
You can email me through here or privately.

Thank you,
Tina and "kids"

I find this interesting. What is the right time ? Do we all keep them till 8 weeks ? 9 weeks, "7" used to be the time, going from the older books. If it is someone that has raised a pup lately and has a good set up, thats different. Think younger is fine, think we keep them to try to decide what we are keeping. Think they do learn alot from Mother or siblings in an extra week.

Breeder 2 - that was my question too... A day or two early from when? Frankly, I don't think there is a magic formula to determine when it's ok for a pup to go to its new home. For me it's more about getting the puppy mentally ready to leave. Before a pup goes home I like to be able to have it sleeping alone in a crate a couple of nights and having traveled in the car enough so it's not as stressful to leave us. Somewhere around 8 or 9 weeks they're usually ready.

most of us let pups go at 8wks so I always say it's ok to let them go home a day or two early before they turn 8wks. I would never let a pup go any earlier.

I've let pups go to their new home a day or two early for certain reasons i.e. if they turn 8 weeks on a Mon/Tues and the family would like to bring them into the home on Saturday morning so the entire family can be involved through the weekend. I won't let them go a week early or late in the day/early evening, then the next morning/early afternoon would be appropriate to give the pup time to adjust to their new environment and not go into a crate for the night shortly after arriving. If a family wants sooner than the day or two for the above reason I have explained I would rather wait for the following weekend. It would depend on the reason but a day or two isn't an issue for me, longer than that would be.

Each state or country/province might have their own laws so take that into consideration too.

The law in Pa is 7 weeks and I will never tell. Ellie

Hi Tina and "kids". 1 gallon water, 2 capfuls Neomycin Sulfate (Bio-Sol)will say for use in cattle for scours, you can get it at Tractor Supply or catalog, 2 cc B12 Complex, injectable (can get at TS too)....just draw it up and squirt it right into the water and 2 to 4 TBS. Karo. Instruct your clients to give this as the puppies sole source of drinking water 'till gone. I haven't had a case of coccidia, "shipping fever", or diahrrea since using this. I give during times of stress such as weaning, worming, vaccines and going home. Is safe to give to lactating moms and the B12 Complex keeps their appetite healthy and if they are eating they are drinking and the Karo also provides energy and makes the water sweet. By the time the water is gone puppy is comfy in his new surroundings and used to the new "germs". I let my puppies go home at 8 weeks and 3 days. They have a Neo-Par at 3 1/2 weeks, a 5 way at 6 weeks and another 5 way at 8 weeks and the 3 days allows me to be sure they have no reaction to the shot. For hunters or assist clients the puppies can go home on the 49TH day (7 weeks) but I do stress that the puppy can not be taken to public places, places where other dogs have been or handled by others that own dogs or if they already have a dog in their home. All are very careful about it and understand fully that a puppies immune system is weak at that age but if they take the precautions they will be fine. If you have had any problems with diahrrea, vomiting, excess thirst or listless puppies do use the vitamin/sulfa/Karo water it works well. I haven't had to use Albon or Metrondizole in years...both are hard on puppies, especially the Metrondizole (Flagyl). FYI...if the client has well water..instruct to use bottled water 'till at least 16 weeks.

What is the amount of Neo Sul in the Bio Sol; I'm wondering if it's the same as I have here - different brand? Also contains a type of bromide, I believe.

Re: Re: Re: Re: puppies

200 mg...no bromide listed on mine...says Neomycin, Oral Solution...Antibacterial. $16 at TS, usually kept in the fridge, bottom shelf with the shots and such. It has to be given in divided doses or as a drench. The dose I gave you is for a litter of puppies and give as sole source of drinking water, Mom too for 10 days at times of stress. The B12 complex will make their urine really yellow...they shed what their body doesn't need. I'll try and e-mail you privately if you like.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

What is the amount of Neo Sul in the Bio Sol; I'm wondering if it's the same as I have here - different brand? Also contains a type of bromide, I believe.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: puppies

I'm in Canada, so don't have access to the brand you've got. Mine is Scour Solution by Co-Op. Contains neomycin Sulfate 50 mg/ml, and Methscopolamine bromide .25 mg/ml. Is yours 200 mg/ml, or per oz., or ?? I can figure it out from there, I think.

"B12 Complex, injectable"

Once exposed to light it is no longer any good. That's why it is in a dark bottle. So, it may look pretty when put in the mix but does no good.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: puppies

Each ML contains 200 mg Neomycin Sulfate. Let me know if you can't figure...I have a Rx conversion book out in the kennel. I'm not going to get upset...I know some are hard to deal with on here...so take your time and let me know if you need it.

Replying to:

I'm in Canada, so don't have access to the brand you've got. Mine is Scour Solution by Co-Op. Contains neomycin Sulfate 50 mg/ml, and Methscopolamine bromide .25 mg/ml. Is yours 200 mg/ml, or per oz., or ?? I can figure it out from there, I think.

TO TINA>>>>

Tina, do it, don't do it but B12 is good for 72 hours once it's drawn up...I have a degree in applied science and 2 years Pharm. I'll privately e-mail after this. I have several other tips for you too but the people on here are so ignorant and arrogant it just slays me, they know EVERYTHING.... I encourage you to verify everything I tell you and will even tell you where to find it.

Replying to:

Once exposed to light it is no longer any good. That's why it is in a dark bottle. So, it may look pretty when put in the mix but does no good.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: puppies

Looks like I'd use 4 times the amount of mine compared to what you use; one more question -- How big is the capful? Maybe a teaspoon (5ml)? Thanks for being so helpful.
I've only ever used the scours sol'n when I'm away at a show and they get the runs, so I know what the individual dose is, by weight, for older dogs.

Pretty yellow water??

What does pretty have to do with anything??? Do YOU think yellow water is pretty??

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: puppies

E-mailing you privately...will note Bio-Sol in subject.

the law in N.Y. is 8 weeks! but either way i do not let puppies go before 8 weeks, because i now do my vaccinations at 7 weeks instead of 6 weeks. we feel, along with our vet that older the pup the better to handle those vaccines. we like to watch them after there shots to make sure everything is O.K.PLUS we do not use lepto in any shots anymore, we wait to after ALL is completed then at 6 months start the lepto vaccine by itsself, 2 shots 4 weeks apart i believe is the protocol

Re: Re: Re: Re: puppies BE CAREFUL!

Be careful waiting 'till 7 weeks...need the immunity built up...is OK if still nursing mom. Try and at least give the Neo-Par (Distemper and Parvo) at 3 1/2 weeks, a 5 way at 6 weeks and again at 8 weeks. The Lepto is not needed until approx. 16 weeks in summer and all 4 types should be vaccinated against. Everyone has their own regimin and what works for them. Your region should dictate innoculations..

Replying to:

the law in N.Y. is 8 weeks! but either way i do not let puppies go before 8 weeks, because i now do my vaccinations at 7 weeks instead of 6 weeks. we feel, along with our vet that older the pup the better to handle those vaccines. we like to watch them after there shots to make sure everything is O.K.PLUS we do not use lepto in any shots anymore, we wait to after ALL is completed then at 6 months start the lepto vaccine by itsself, 2 shots 4 weeks apart i believe is the protocol

Just checking to see if you got my e-mail?

Replying to:

Hi Tina and "kids". 1 gallon water, 2 capfuls Neomycin Sulfate (Bio-Sol)will say for use in cattle for scours, you can get it at Tractor Supply or catalog, 2 cc B12 Complex, injectable (can get at TS too)....just draw it up and squirt it right into the water and 2 to 4 TBS. Karo. Instruct your clients to give this as the puppies sole source of drinking water 'till gone. I haven't had a case of coccidia, "shipping fever", or diahrrea since using this. I give during times of stress such as weaning, worming, vaccines and going home. Is safe to give to lactating moms and the B12 Complex keeps their appetite healthy and if they are eating they are drinking and the Karo also provides energy and makes the water sweet. By the time the water is gone puppy is comfy in his new surroundings and used to the new "germs". I let my puppies go home at 8 weeks and 3 days. They have a Neo-Par at 3 1/2 weeks, a 5 way at 6 weeks and another 5 way at 8 weeks and the 3 days allows me to be sure they have no reaction to the shot. For hunters or assist clients the puppies can go home on the 49TH day (7 weeks) but I do stress that the puppy can not be taken to public places, places where other dogs have been or handled by others that own dogs or if they already have a dog in their home. All are very careful about it and understand fully that a puppies immune system is weak at that age but if they take the precautions they will be fine. If you have had any problems with diahrrea, vomiting, excess thirst or listless puppies do use the vitamin/sulfa/Karo water it works well. I haven't had to use Albon or Metrondizole in years...both are hard on puppies, especially the Metrondizole (Flagyl). FYI...if the client has well water..instruct to use bottled water 'till at least 16 weeks.

Re: Re: Re: Re: puppies

Hi Is OK; no I didn't get an email from you, but I never posted my email address for you to send it to -- would never post it on this forum. Not to worry, I think I have it figured out just from the amounts you've written here. No worries!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: puppies

I wouldn't put my address out there either..Take care..

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: puppies BE CAREFUL!

SO TRUE!!! You need to get those vaccines in them to keep a consistant immunity. Too many "cooties" out there. But once they have the neo par and 6 week and 8 week shots can go once a month. and hold off on that lepto 'till older, if allergic is bad news.

Replying to:

Be careful waiting 'till 7 weeks...need the immunity built up...is OK if still nursing mom. Try and at least give the Neo-Par (Distemper and Parvo) at 3 1/2 weeks, a 5 way at 6 weeks and again at 8 weeks. The Lepto is not needed until approx. 16 weeks in summer and all 4 types should be vaccinated against. Everyone has their own regimin and what works for them. Your region should dictate innoculations..

Replying to:

I've been told repeatedly to wait as close as possible until 7 to 8 weeks to do innoculations. Apparently the protocal varies. Any further input on that please? I used to do innoculations at 6 weeks and moved it up. TIA.

Most vaccines have a 5 to 14 day span to become effective therefore if you vaccinate at 7 weeks you should not let the pup go to a new home before a titer test has been done...not all puppies will respond to the vaccine but most do ...the only problem I have ever had with giving a vaccine is the Lepto when I use to give before 5 months of age...other than that none. I have 11 Labs and we go to the river, lakes, ponds and most go on our camping trips, not all at one time, so all are most likely exposed to some sort of something as you can't keep them cooped up. If your bitch isn't properly immunized she will not be able to pass on antibodies she does not have. Like I said...everyone has their own way of doing things and this has worked wonderfully for me for almost 19 years. Your vet is the best advisor...just try to find a vet that has raised puppies...HARD TO DO THOUGH. Vaccines are one of the least expensive things you can do for your puppies...especially if you give yourself...cost about $2.75 per shot and come from the exact same place your vet gets their's.

Replying to:

I've been told repeatedly to wait as close as possible until 7 to 8 weeks to do innoculations. Apparently the protocal varies. Any further input on that please? I used to do innoculations at 6 weeks and moved it up. TIA.