Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
vaccines--beginning when

My girl was one year old in December. She had all her puppy shots and rabies and then this year her rabies again (good for 3 years) I understand the other shots should only be every 3 years but is that after the puppy shots or should she get one this year and then very 3 years after that?

Re: vaccines--beginning when

I think that Jean Dodds recommends puppy shots, then shots at a year, (a year from the last set of shots) and then every three years.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

My girl was one year old in December. She had all her puppy shots and rabies and then this year her rabies again (good for 3 years) I understand the other shots should only be every 3 years but is that after the puppy shots or should she get one this year and then very 3 years after that?

I agree. A booster one year from last series of puppy shots and then every 3 years. I do titer test one year after booster though to be sure my dogs are covered.

Re: Re: vaccines--beginning when

This is what I do too. Puppy shots, booster at one year, then every three years after that.

I do puppy shots, one year booster & that's it for the rest of there lives except rabies every three years. I went to a seminar by DR. Schultz many years ago learned alot. I have four dogs my oldest being 8yrs with my youngest being 8wks. Have nerver had any health issues except ear stuff, cut pads....all very healthy. YOu can titer instead of vacinating.

Re: Re: Re: vaccines--beginning when

I so disagree...especially breeding stock...should have booster annually..preferably 2 to 3 weeks before breeding ESPECIALLY PARVO and DISTEMPER..some are luckier than others.

Try to convince the vets of every 3 years after a 1 yr innoculation. Some have you come back yearly (gm you would have no problem) some every 2 years and rare few are at 3 years. They don't want to lose the revenue of the yearly visit. If they explained a visit is needed for health reasons but an innoculation is not maybe some people would still visit yearly.

Check with your puppy owners 4 years later and most dogs will still be innoculated yearly .

Point taken...but most on here are breeders/exhib. to which there is a much higher chance for illness...any and all. Most clients don't breed their dogs but I do encourage outings and MANY before the puppy is a year old, the more places they are able to take their dog the better off the dog will be..I also highly recommend obedience classes and do ask if this is going to be participated in by the client...most say yes, I then look up the address and phone number of a trainer in their area so that they have the information at their finger tips. The general public does not take into account that the puppy is just 56 days old at 8 weeks and even stressing this they do tend to let their guard down. I don't take a chance on whether a vet is having you come in for shots for revenue...no disrespect to your point of view...just expressing my own. I do give my own vaccines and do not have the vet fees for the first 2 shots...I do however have the vet give the 8 week shot...it is included in vet check fee.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Try to convince the vets of every 3 years after a 1 yr innoculation. Some have you come back yearly (gm you would have no problem) some every 2 years and rare few are at 3 years. They don't want to lose the revenue of the yearly visit. If they explained a visit is needed for health reasons but an innoculation is not maybe some people would still visit yearly.

Check with your puppy owners 4 years later and most dogs will still be innoculated yearly .