Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Playing "Dog" with genetics

If you could geneticly get a # of pups in a litter and choice colour and sexes. Would you pay the money to do it?

Re: Playing "Dog" with genetics

No

Depends on how much money and what the breeding was.

Re: Re: Playing "Dog" with genetics

No, more fun the hard way.

Just wondering but...... if not, why not?? Very good thought provoking topic.

Got me thinking because I see humans can do "selection" and numbers with implants.

Nope. Not me. But I must say there are somedays I miss my old boy so much I which I had had him cloned....

If it did not affect the health or well being of pups or bitch I absolutely would. For example, if you kept a litter size down for a bitch that can't handle a larger litter you would be doing her a service. There a alot of ways to look at this question.

if it were afforable? no question. yes I would do it.
My goal is to produce for my breeding program, not to sell to the public. if I were looking for a particular sex and color, that is what I would arrange, less puppies and families to deal with.

Absolutely. What would I be willing to pay? Up to the price of a puppy.

then you have to look at the flip side of the coin, as in planning larger litters with little or no regard for the dam and her pups.
there are always trade offs in life and there will always be some that would use the technology in very different way then it was intended.

Re: Re: Playing "Dog" with genetics

Why would you plan for larger litters? Thats certainly not what I would be using it for.

good questions.

Sure why not. I think knowing and deciding on only the 1-2 dogs you want to keep would certainly be easier then puppy interviews for a litter of 10. The risk is what if they don't turn out. You certainly have more odds in your favor if you have a larger litter i.e. more to choose from but I'm in, hey, can we choose eye colour as well??